David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

My iCal is malfunctioning. It is not uploading to iCloud and

Customer Question

My iCal is malfunctioning. It is not uploading to iCloud and my iPad is not sharing information. On my iCal on my Mac the symbol beside the list of calendars that are supposed to upload shows the iCal is off line and gives this error message: The calendar https://cal.me.com:8443/principals/users/1.270065508/ was not found on the server. Make sure the URL is correct. I don't know how or where to check that URL.
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi my name is David.

What version of Mac OS X ids on your Mac? Is your iPad using the same MobileMe login as your Mac?

Kind regards,
David.

PS Please bookmark this page if you want to get back to this answer again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am running version 10.6.8

When I open Settings on my iPad and look at iCloud the account is listed asXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

When I open iCal on my Mac and look at Preferences then Accounts my account is listed asXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi, unfortunately I can't read those emails. They get blanked out by the site. Are they the same?

The solution should be to login from the computer to www.icloud.com and complete the iCloud migration.

Let me know how that goes.

Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can log on to iCloud and I've done everything I can see to do in terms of setting that up. Most of the iCloud calendar and the iCal on my computer are identical but the latest information from my Mac is not there.
In the left hand column of the iCal on my Mac there is a status symbol alongside theXXX@XXXXXX.XXX list of calendars. It indicates that the list is not on line. When I click on that symbol it has this message - the message I sent originally - and its still there:

The Server Responded with an Error
The calendar https://cal.me.com:8443/principals/users/1.270065508/ was not found on the server. Make sure the URL is correct.

Nothing is going from my Mac to iCloud.
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

What do you see when you go to iCal Preferences - Accounts. Can you create your iCloud account or remove it and add it again. Also check the iCloud preference pane in System Preferences.

Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I go to iCal Preferences - Accounts I can change the information. I have triedXXX@XXXXXX.XXX andXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Neither makes any difference.

My System Preferences has no iCloud preference pane. It has a Mobile Me preference pane. It says that I am signed in to Mobile Me asXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. Under that it has my Account Status as being upgraded to iCloud.
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Have you tried deleting the account in iCal Preferences?

It should be @me.com

If same the next step should be to backup iCal and delete and re-add the calendar.

Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is the process for deleting and re-adding the calendar?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I deleted ICal then attempted to re-add. I have now lost everything on my Mac. I can log on successfully over Safari to my Mobile Me account but the computer will not connect with it through iCal. I have have nothing in my iCal. When I attempted to re-add theXXX@XXXXXX.XXX account the server responded with a message "Access to accountXXX@XXXXXX.XXX is not permitted".

This message follows:
The server responded:
“HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden”
to operation CalDAVAccountRefreshQueueableOperation.

I have to say this is now worse that when I started. At least I could operate my iCal on my Mac. I have now lost everything and don't know how to get it back
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, an update on what is happening here.

The information on the last reply from me continues.
The good news is this - I can log on to iCloud over Safari and update my calendar directly. My iPad and my iPhone are both connected to the iCloud version of my iCal and functioning properly.
The problem is with my Mac. I have lost all information in my iCal since deleting it and attempting to re-add. When I try to re-add it gives the error message I sent previously - connection is not permitted.

When I go in through System Preferences and choose Mobile Me from the Internet and Wireless list the Account pane says I am signed in to Mobile Me, correctly says my Member Name isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, and Account Status says that my Mobile Me account has been upgraded to iCloud. All that is good.

When I choose the Sync panel next the box "Synchronise with Mobile Me" is not ticked. When I tick that box it will not allow me to select any of the options below including Calendar. At the bottom of that panel it lists Status as Registering Computer - but it never does. If I tick that box at the top and then go to the bottom of that pane and press the Advanced button the next pane shows no computers as being synchronised with the Mobile Me account. When I press the Register Computer button is just cycles away trying to resolve that process and never finishes. It cannot process that request.

This is the current state of affairs. Please help.
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

I was offline for a while sorry about that. I think you are missing the iCloud Preference Pane, can you go to the  in the top left and click Software Update. Install all updates that come down the line and restart.

If same, we can remove all iCal supporting files and folders and try again.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've checked the Software Update and it tells me there is no new software for me to download.

What now? You will need to help me find all the iCal supporting files and folders if we are to remove them all.

Thanks David.
Al Meyer
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

First delete the account in iCal Preferences. Then empty the user cache.

Close all applications and click Finder.

Click Go -> Go To Folder...

Type ~/Library/Caches/ and click Go.

Move the entire contents of the Caches folder to the Trash.

Then remove iCal related preference files.

Click on Go -> Go To Folder ...

Type ~/Library/Preferences/

Type ical in the search box in the top right of the Finder window.

Then click "Preferences" to limit the search, and select all files and move them to the Trash.

Next remove calendars. Click on Go -> Go To Folder ...

Type ~/Library/ and click Go.

Look for the Calendars folder and empty that.

Then restart, open iCal, and add you iCloud account details in iCal Preferences.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Followed all your directions above.

Restarted iCal and put in the iCloud account details in iCal preferences and here is the response

The server responded:
“HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden”

Still no success.

Thanks DAVID
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

I'd like to see if it is working in a new user account.

Open System Preferences and Accounts (Users & Groups in Lion) and unlock the padlock in the bottom left, and click the plus in the lower left.

Create a new Administrator account with username test and password XXXXX

When it ask if you want to turn off Automatic Login, choose the option to turn it off.

Click shutdown from the Apple menu in the top left.

Power on and click the test user at the Login Window and login.

Set up the iCal account there and see if the Calendar syncs to you Mac.

Let me know how that goes.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
David,

Did all the above. Created a new Administrator account. Logged on as new Administrator, set up the iCal with myXXX@XXXXXX.XXX address and had the same result. Denied access.

I have no difficulty logging on directly to iCloud under my log in address and I can access it from my iPad and iPhone but this computer is being very naughty.

What now?

Allan Meyer
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

It's getting really more detailed, thanks for your patience!

You can log into the original account now, and delete the test account.

Click Go -> Go To Folder...

Type /Library/Caches/ and click Go.

Move the entire contents of the Caches folder to the Trash, you might be asked for password XXXXX time.

Next restart, and open /Applications/Utilities/ and open Disk Utility.

Click on Macintosh HD and click Repair Permissions.

When that finishes, click Verify Disk.

If Verify Disk gives errors then restart to the install disc holding the C key, then on the second page click Utilities menu, and open Disk Utility. Click Repair Disk there.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
David,

We are getting somewhere. The Verify Disk stopped running and signalled a bunch of errors.

I've got two discs. I've got the OS X install DVD and I've got the Applications Install DVD.

If I understand what you are asking me to do I put in one of the discs then go to restart and while waiting for the restart I hold down the C key. I guess that opens to something - I go to the second page and click Utilities menu, open Disk Utility and click Repair Disk.

If that isn't correct please give me the correct sequence of events and I think we'll have this thing beaten.

Regards,
Allan Meyer
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi Allan,

That's correct. The disc to use is the Install DVD, and you shut down then power on and hold the C until you see a spinning gear.

The Disk Utility is on the page after language select in the Utilities menu, and it looks exactly the same when you open it.

While there do Repair Disk.

If this fails we will troubleshoot something called SyncServices.

I'm filming my nephew's christening today, but I can check later today and give you some follow up if needed.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi David,

I did the Disk Utility thing and at the end of the process it said it had repaired errors. I restared the computer and tried the iCal but still the same problem. It denies access.

So I went back one step, emptied the contents of the Cache folder to trash, restarted, went to Applications/Utilities and ran the Repair Permissions again. It did a whole list of repairs - I noticed that one of the repairs said WARNING - this permission has been modified and won't be repaired. But it went right through the Repair Permissions without signalling a fault. Then I ran the Verify Disk and at the end it gave the message that it appears the disk is in order.

So I tried the iCal again and the problem persists. It denied access.

I fly out of Australia to the USA tomorrow. Staying in Phoenix for the week and then a few days in Dallas before flying back to Australia. I will take my computer with me to see if we can conquer on the road.

Over to you.

Al Meyer
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

When you repair Disk Permissions using the install disk, you are using the version of OS X that runs on the install disc, which is older than the one installed on the Macintosh HD. It doesn't do anything bad, just that it's better to run Repair Permissions from the Macintosh HD Disk Utility. You can also re-run it and find that is will iron out the creases so to speak.

I haven't asked which version of OS X is on the Mac, and the following steps are different if it is 10.5 Leopard.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1627

If it's 10.5 click the link for the 10.5 steps and if it's newer use the other link.

Hopefully this will fix it.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi David,

I'm now in Phoenix. My version of OS X is 10.6.8

Sorry mate, but I've done all I can see to do on the link you gave me and the problem is unchanged.

Al Meyer
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

I really don't want to ask you to reinstall just yet. It's a safe procedure and replaces just the Mac OS X system files, but it takes a while and I believe there are still things that can be tried to avoid having to do that.

Open System Preferences, Sharing. Where it has computer name change it to something simple like 'snow-leopard' and press enter.

Next go to Finder, click Go -> Go To Folder ... Type '/Library/' without quotes and click Go.

Look for a StartupItems folder and open it, empty that folder contents to Trash and restart. It removes any startup options for applications set to open at launch that might conflict.

Go back to System Preferences, and sign out of MobileMe in the MobileMe Preference pane.

Then restart and sign in again in System Preferences.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
David,

did all that successfully - but still no change. No Permission

Al Meyer
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

My next advice is to upgrade to Lion. Any other step would be to reinstall Snow Leopard, and that could get messy and cause more problems with other applications.

If you upgrade to Lion you will get the iCloud preference pane, and the issue will be resolved.

You don't need to go to a store to get it, you can download it from the Mac App Store.

It costs $29.999 and you can install it on all of your Macs with one purchase. Here is the link:
itunes.apple.com/ie/app/os-x-lion/id444303913?mt=12

I really think this is the best way forward, and any other troubleshooting would be too disruptive and end up causing more problems.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
David,

Success. The upgrade fixed everything.

One final question. On my Mac and on iCloud my calendar begins on Monday and ends on Sunday which is how I've set it up. On my iPhone and my iPad the calendar begins on Sunday and ends on Saturday which is a real pain. I do most of my work over weekends - Saturday through Sunday. Having them split visually is not helpful. But I can't find anywhere to make those to things conform.

Is that setup fixed on the iPhone and iPad or can I get them to conform?

Al Meyer
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Great news that it's fixed. To fix the calendar start date on the iPad and iPhone there is an unusual way to fix it. Tap Settings -> General -> International -> Regional Format and change it to United States.

Sunday is the start of the week in that format. I think it's unusual that it can't be set to any day of the week you want.

Best regards,
David.

David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
David,

I want my iPad calendar and my iPhone calendar to start on a Monday. US format starts on Sunday - format allows me to start the calendar on a Monday. I need the week to finish Saturday Sunday.

Al Meyer
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi Al,

If you change it to UK it changes to Monday for start day.

Kind regards,
David.