Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I upgraded Safari to 5.1.2 and lost the ability to do a vertical

Customer Question

I upgraded Safari to 5.1.2 and lost the ability to do a vertical scroll with my Performance MX mouse. The entry for the MicroGear Precision Scroll Wheel as listed in the Buttons setting of the Logitech Control Center shows grey print for Vertical Scroll. Horizontal Scroll still works.
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had accessed the download site before to check the drivers. The download button on the web page does nothing. I followed your link address which I presume is the same location and nothing happens with the download. Control Center currently 3.5.1.-23.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
So the green Download Software button does nothing? But you aleady have version 3.5.1?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Version 3.5.1 was installed ages ago and prior to updating Safari.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
It was only posted on 11/09/2011??? I have the same mouse but I don't have that software I am using 3.4.0 and I also have Lion and Safari 5.1.2 with no problems. I am trying to download it but the site is slow.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Do you have differenct settings for Safari or is this happening on all apps?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It happens on all apps. Safari settings were not changed.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I am having a lot of trouble getting it try this in the meantime:

open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok I installed it and everything is still ok I would try trashing the preferences in your home / Library / Preferences anything that starts with

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.

Try deleting your System Preferences cache file:

Quit System Preferences, then delete the file:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Problem solved!
I performed the disk repairs but it didn't solve the problem. What I did notice was that the scroll did work while using Disk Utility on the Install disk.

Removing the preferences for com.Logitech.??? did solve the problem.

Thank you-greatly appreciated and thanks for the learning experience.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Great thank you!!