John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I have an iPhone 4 and a PC with Outlook Somehow I have installed

I have an iPhone 4 and a PC with Outlook Somehow I have installed iCloud on my iphone and the contacts and calendars no longer sync - please help me to set the phone so they can be updated Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

On the iPhone, if you look in Settings > iCloud are Contacts and Calendars turned ON?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes to both
Okay, turn both of those OFF.

Then, open iTunes on your computer

plug-in the iPhone

When it appears in the iTunes sidebar, select it.

You should see a new menubar across the top of the window (Summary, Info Apps, Music, etc...).

Choose the Info tab.

You should see options to Sync Contacts and Calendars with Outlook, as before.

Place a checkmark next to each one to enable it and configure any options as needed.

In the lower right side of the window, click "Apply". The iPhone should now sync with your computer for those items instead of iCloud.

Let me know how this works for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX seem to be synced but lots of the calendar entries have been duplicated

When you turned off the iCloud Calendar did it ask whether you wanted to leave iCloud data on the device? This is often the cause for duplicates...

Check to see which Calendars are on the iPhone, it may be the calendars themselves that have been duplicated and not necessarily the events.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see any other calendars - where will I find them?
If you have more than one Calendar on the device you should see a "Calendars" button inside the app, on the titlebar.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the pc it says there are 3 calendars but this hasn't changed (and I can't find the other calendars). Now anything I put on the pc is showing twice on the phone and the pc. Things I put into the phone are only showing once
Are you saying if you enter an event on the PC now, sync once, and then end up with two events on the iPhone and a second event is added to the PC... or are you only talking about previously entered events?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All previously entered events have been duplicated on the phone and the pc apart from the recent ones that I couldn't sync
Alright, go back to the Info tab for the iPhone and uncheck Calendar syncing then click Apply. See if it removes the duplicates and what you are left with...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It leaves no calendars on the iphone and 2 on the pc!
Are the 2 on the PC duplicates?

If not, try re-enabling calendar syncing now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They are duplicates
Okay, then delete one of those calendars.

Afterwards, you should be able to re-enable Calendar syncing without further issue.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If it does, please click ACCEPT so I can be credited for my time assisting you. Experts do not earn a salary and thus our work is only recognized when it is "accepted" by the customer. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this thread. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks,

Please feel free to ask me a new question at any time (if you’re a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment). Bookmark my profile page for easy access:
http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know how/can't delete a calendar - please help
Which version of Outlook are you using?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where will I find that? My son has helped me with the computer but he isn't here
Under Help in the menu bar there should be an "About Outlook" or similar.

However, the following may work for most versions of Outlook:

Launch Outlook. Click the "Calendar" button in the lower-left corner of the window, or press the "Ctrl" and "2" keys on the keyboard simultaneously to switch to the calendar.

Right click the calendar that you would like to delete, and click "Delete (calendar name)."

Click "Yes" to confirm the deletion. Note that in Outlook, the original default Outlook calendar cannot be deleted... only additional calendars.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm not able to do what you are asking - there is a home calendar and a work calendar but I'm not able to delete them and the items are duplicated in the main calendar

So the duplicated events are all in a single calendar?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, identical entries on the phone and the pc
If the duplicated entries are stored in a single calendar (Main) on your computer then you have no choice but to manually delete the duplicated entries on your computer.

They were originally duplicated when you enabled iCloud, however, iCloud does not support Windows XP systems so there is no automated way to sync between Outlook and iCloud. This left you with content on the phone that had been converted for iCloud (but the XP system could not understand this due to lack of support) and the original data on the PC.

As long as you leave iCloud Contacts and Calendar turned off on the iPhone, you should not have this issue in the future.
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry