John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

My iphone 4 hung during updating it to the new Ios 5.01. I

My iphone 4 hung during updating it to the new Ios 5.01. I then had to restore it using the itunes but now each time the iphone reconnects with itunes, it wants to restore the phone all over again. What do I need to do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to provide advice and information.

If you look in iTunes > Edit Menu > Preferences > Devices, do you see more than one backup?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. There are now 3 backups that are dated yesterday at 10:46PM (it's now after midnight here). 1 shows "David's iPhone", the 2nd shows "David's iPhone - Nov 30, 2011 11:31 PM" and the 3rd shows "David's iPhone - Nov 30, 2011 11:43 PM"
Okay, try restoring using one of the earlier backups and see if this improves the situation. Very often, the problem you are experiencing is due to a corrupted backup.

If iTunes is not offering a choice of backups on the page it displays, you can right-click on the iPhone in the iTunes sidebar and choose "Restore from backup" and it should let you select one.

Let me know how this works for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried restoring from an earlier back up and itunes is still asking to restore from a previous backup. I tried restoring from the 2nd backup I mentioned earlier.
I would try the 3rd, as well. If that does not work, you can try this proces (in the event the issue is in the updated installation and not a backup problem):

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode. It will re-install the operating system on the device and then re-sync user data once it is done.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes before attempting this:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

* Open iTunes

* Connect the iOS device to the computer

* Turn off the iOS device (hold down the sleep/wake button on the top) until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device simply shuts off, if locked up.

* Hold down the sleep/wake button AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click ok and continue along for the restore

If it doesn’t work the 1st time, start from the beginning and try again. If iTunes *still* doesn't recognize the device, plug it into a DIFFERENT USB port and try once more.

If you receive misc errors when attempting to install/uninstall or sync after installation, try temporarily disabling any anti-virus or firewall software you may be running.

When the device is in DFU recovery mode, the screen will be black. If you see the iTunes logo on the screen then you have gone into normal restore mode rather than DFU mode.

Let me know how this works for you and if you need clarification of any step.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The screen was initially black when starting the recovery mode but when iTunes indicated that it was "restoring iphone software" the apple logo and timeline showed up on the phone.

No change. Still asking to restore. I'm restoring again from "David's iPhone".

That's fine (the Apple logo later in the process).

It's unfortunate you are still getting the message, however.

As a troubleshooting step, you may wish to set up as a new iPhone to verify functionality. If the iPhone functions normally, then try applying a backup.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I set up as a new iphone and it's working. Really didn't want to do this. My kids use this computer for their apps and now itunes is trying to put 284 apps on my iphone. I stopped the sync. But now i have to go an figure out which apps I had originally synced with my iphone. what a bunch of crap. I appreciate your help. it's still tyring to put a bunch of apps on my phone.

How do you stop itunes from trying to put a bunch of apps on your iphone?

What do you mean by "applying a backup". I guess I could do that now.

You can right click on the iPhone in the iTunes sidebar and select "Restore from backup" to attempt to restore another backup again. However, I'm guessing since you have a number of them that were made within an exceptionally short time period that iTunes was perhaps having issues creating a proper backup.

You can control which apps are synced to the phone like this:

Select the iPhone in the iTunes sidebar.

You should see a menubar appear near the top of the iPhone Summary page (Summary, Info, Apps, Music, etc). Select Apps.

On this screen, remove a checkmark form any app that you do not wish to sync to the iPhone.

Then, click "Apply" in the lower right hand side of the window.

The iPhone should preserve your selections so you should only need to do this once.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If it does, please click ACCEPT so I can be credited for my time assisting you. Experts do not earn a salary and thus our work is only recognized when it is "accepted" by the customer. If you continue to have questions on this topic, just reply back to this thread. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks,
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry