Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

hi: I just downloaded a Safari update and now I am having

Customer Question

hi: I just downloaded a Safari update and now I am having trouble holding on to the airport? I have to re-boot in order to be re-hooked to the internet ??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Version 10.6.8
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok run the Disk Utility
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, where do I find that
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, where do I find that
Hi, I am at the disk utility ... it is checking
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok I assume you found it.??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for putting up with me ..... about 7 minutes to complete ??
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It said the Volume mac hard drive is OK .... it is still on repair permissions
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
repair permissions complete ..... now what???
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok please try Firefox I just want to see if it is a Safari problem and not an Internet problem:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi: I have firefox loaded and i tried it .... it works fine .... but then so does Safari but it keeps losing the airport signal and pushing airport on does not do anything ....I have to reboot .... sometimes 5 minutes ...sometimes an hour can go by and then ....no airport
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok but I need to know if Fireofox keeps working or not?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, I have no idea if it will be 5 minutes or hours .....
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok try this go to Safari / Preferences / Extensions and turn them off then go to Safari / Reset Safari and check all boxes and Reset.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I have to sign off soon did you try that?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did you try that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike: I am sorry our communications quit .... I just could not get back onto the net with a wireless unit, regardless what one I used ie, MacDonalds, Starbucks, even Best Buy !!! I have had to go to a direct hard wire connection to my provider. If you look at one of the Mac pages there is over 70 pages of people with macbook pros that are having a problem connecting to a wireless system .... so I am not alone. Anything else you can offer? I tried everything you have suggested without success. My little wireless indicator in the top right can have full bars but nothing. I can go to the open network preferences and the airport is usually red or yellow but even the times it is green, I cannot get onto the internet. The blue bar that normally sips across the top highlighting the site I chose, (google, yahoo, etc.) just goes about a couple inches and then stops ???/ Help !! Bob
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I suggest you reinstall your system:

Put the current operating system disk (the one that came with your Mac unless you have upgraded) in and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. When you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, when it opens select your drive on the left and select Verify Disk if OK also repair Permissions. If not OK try to Repair if Repair completes then Repair Permissions. Then quit Disk Utility and then you will see the install screen . Install. Restart and run Software Update until no more updates are available.