Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My 5 year old MacBook Pro wont start up. I watched a movie

My 5 year old MacBook Pro won't start up. I watched a movie on battery power and possibly never shut it down properly. The next day I found it completely unresponsive. After charging the battery for a few hours, the sleep light was on, though not alternating between bright and dull as normal. It would not wake up so I held the power button down to turn it off. When I try to start it, I get only a slight noise indicating the hard drive and a dim white light on the sleep light...no tone, dark screen. I've tried the SMC and PRAM troubleshooting. I've even taken out the ram and swapped them, trying one at a time....nothing.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Can you boot from your system disk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure how to do this.
It may be noted that my tech at work uploaded snow leapard. Any disc I have will be only leapard
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You can try the Leopard disk just to see if it starts, but you should use the Snow Leopard disk to try and do any repair. Put the Leopard disk in and retsrat holding the C key.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK...give me a minyte
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have two discs...Mac OSX disc 1 and 2. Is this what i use? If yes, Which
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Disk one
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I placed the disc in the slot. As I pushed the power button and "C", the CD went in and began spinning. After 10 seconds I released both buttons. Still nothing. I cannot hear the Super drive spinning, but still hear a slight sound (hard drive?) and the dim white light in front. Still a blank screen. Did I do it right, Mike?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hold the power button for about 15 seconds then hit it again to start it and hold the C key until you see the Apple logo if at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
been holding c forXXXXXjust stopped ...still holding...nohing yet
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok I would say your hard drive has failed or some other component sorry. You need to take it in for repair.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.