SalemMac
SalemMac, Mac Genius
Experience:  15 Years of Mac Support In Enterprise Administration.
62935470

I keep getting an itunes error: unknown error 0xE8000003 and

Customer Question

I keep getting an itunes error: unknown error 0xE8000003 and i can not connect any device (iphone, ipad, ipod) to itunes. iphoto connects to the device, no problem. However itunes will not. Please help!! I've been searching for solutions all day and have tried everything
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

#1 - Are any of the devices jailbroken?

#2 - Do you have apps that were purchased with different accounts within the iTunes library?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
#1 No, none of the devices are jail broken
#2 Yes, there are two people who share iTunes, we each have our own account and sign in, but i'm sure the apps were purchased with different accounts. However, I have gone into one account that would have shared and deleted ALL apps. The other itunes account has never purchased an app from another account. I restarted itunes, and still not working
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Can you create a new Mac user account [System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> New User (with Administrator rights)] and then log into that user, open iTunes, and tell me if iTunes gives you that error.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I will do it now
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
No problem. Update me on the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I created a new user with Admin capabilities and it gave me the same error when I tried to connect to itunes. It also did it with a brand new ipad that has never been connected before, as well as another iphone
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
What version of iTunes are you running (go to the iTunes menu in the upper left and select About iTunes)? Please tell me the verison number (i.e. 10.5.1)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it is iTunes 10.5.1
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Strange.

You have 3 different devices, two different profiles, and the same issue---the devices are seen in iPhoto.

I'd suggest that the issue is operating system related and I'd recommend a reinstallation of your Mac OS.

I'll opt out to see if any other experts have any other ideas.

I'm out of options. Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would greatly appreciate it if we could see if anyone has any other suggestions. I am in the middle of my final school semester and have vital documents and software programs on my computer, I can not reinstall Mac OS. If they have any ideas as how to fix this without re-installing the OS, I would love to try it.
Expert:  SalemMac replied 3 years ago.
Hi There,

Try this:

Go to the Finder/Desktop, go to the "Go" menu, select "Go to folder...", then type this in (without the quotes) "/var/db/lockdown/", and click "Go". If there are any items in this folder delete them and reboot. Please note you will need administrator privileges to delete these files. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello.

Okay, I went to the "Go to Folder" and copy and pasted the folder name and it said "This folder can not be found."

Expert:  SalemMac replied 3 years ago.
Ok, then this time just type in "/var/" without the quotes. Once in there see if you can find the "db" folder, and then see if you see the "lockdown" folder.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I was able to find the "db" folder, however there was not a "lockdown" folder. Is it in another folder in another name??
Expert:  SalemMac replied 3 years ago.
Nope. That means it is not that issue. Let me see if I can find another cause to that issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Expert:  SalemMac replied 3 years ago.
Hi Again. Ok so lets give this a try. Go to the "Applications" folder, then to the "Utilities" folder. In there you will find an application called "Terminal", go ahead and open it up. This application allows up access to the Mac OS at its core, so its very important we be carful in here. So what we are going to do is create the lockdown folder and give it the appropriate permissions for iTunes. So lets do this carefully:

1) Quit iTunes and disconnect the device from the computer.

2) In terminal type this in exactly (without the quotes) "sudo mkdir /var/db/lockdown" be sure that its exact. then post the return key on the keyboard. (nothing will happen, a new line will appear.) What this is doing is creating the lockdown folder. It may ask you for a password and you simply enter your password. Now you won't see the characters or anything when you type the password, but its entering. When your password is entered, push the return key.

3) Now type in this command exact (without quotes) "sudo chown _usbmuxd /var/db/lockdown" and then push enter (nothing will happen again, it will go to a new line) this command will assign the appropriate permissions to the folder we just created.

4) Open iTunes and try again.