David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

Can you help me with an iMac/Adobe PremierePro/Mercury Playback/64-bit

Can you help me with an iMac/Adobe PremierePro/Mercury Playback/64-bit processing speed issue?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

I can do my best, XXXXX XXXXX Mercury Playback, and what is it that will not work?

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mercury engine is the marketing term for Premier 5x utilizing 64-bit processing. Since my iMac i7 provides multi-threaded 64-bit processing, the hardware and software should work optimally. Unfortunately, the editing of video files is very slow recently. The machine is running OSX 7.2, so I'm up to date on that. The scratch disk has 500MB of elbow room and all linked files are located in the same folder.

The computer is covered by Applecare, but they want to put all the responsibility on Adobe and Adobe wants to blame it on Apple. Thus I'm caught in the middle with a very slow computer.
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

How is it that Adobe shift the blame to the hardware provider? Do they say it happens for all their customers on Mac OS X Lion? Have they completely isolated the issue from problems within their own software, if so how?

Does you Mac have performance issues with any other software?

Did Adobe ask you if you have this issue in any project, including test projects?

A useful way of troubleshooting a software issue is to use a new user account. That rules out any potential user preferences and caches.

Open System Preferences and Accounts (Users & Groups in Lion) and unlock the padlock in the bottom left, and click the plus in the lower left.

Create a new Administrator account with username test and password XXXXX

When it ask if you want to turn off Automatic Login, choose the option to turn it off.

Click shutdown from the Apple menu in the top left.

Power on and click the test user at the Login Window and login.

You can test the performance of the Adobe software in the new account. Is the issue the same there?

Kind regards,
David.

Please bookmark this page if you want to get back to this answer again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Adobe questions the graphics processor chosen by Apple for iMac (in my case, ATI Radeon HD 5750- not one of their [typically Win-based] blessed few processors. Typical disclaimer stuff. to me, 64-bit processing should be 64-bit processing, no?

I have tried a new User account, but didn't have any typical PP projects available. I will do the necessary transfer and test that option. I'll get back tomorrow with the report.

Thanks,
Herb
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Adobe cannot say their software will not work with your graphics card unless they say so in their system requirements.

I don't think Apple would blame Adobe, but it might appear that way if you are trying to get support for an Adobe product from Apple.

It's more likely that Adobe are shirking their responsibility for their own product, and groundlessly blaming Apple for their hardware design.

Let me know how it goes when you have tested the issue with a specific project. Sounds like you know a way to transfer the project to a new account already.

I will be offline for about 7-9 hours, I'll reply to you then.

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just transferred a video project, loaded it, and tested it. While there may be a slight increase based on a totally clean, new project, "scrubbing" a video file (manually scrolling along the timeline) still is way too slow. This is basically like adjusting the layers of a Photoshop file inasmuch as the video processor is not grinding its way through uncompressed 30fps files. I think it could possibly be the display card because it can't even keep up with my manual advancements, but what do I know?

any thots?

Thanks,
Herb
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Have you tested a completely new project, empty until you imported a clip, and then tried scrubbing?

Scrubbing high bit-rate video will always have a lot of overhead, and with the current configuration of software and hardware could be normal for the high bit-rate video you are using.

Unless you know the source of the video clip has performed better before when scrubbing?

Have you considered Final Cut Pro X from the App Store? There' a free trial.
www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/

Kind regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm a bit different. I do my videos entirely based on still photographs and contrived animation; literally no actual video footage involved. I move still photographs and text around the screen. It's actually very lightweight processing.

I started out with FCP but found Premier a bit more manageable and Mac-like, believe it or not. I've been a Mac-head since '84 and probably owned every Mac model ever produced. Love the Mac platform but believe Adobe has the edge on the needs of this workflow.

Animating stills and type really shouldn't be that difficult, but currently it is.

Herb
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi Herb,

KeyGrip was editing software developed by Macromedia created by the same developer that created the first three versions of Adobe Premier, and it was called Final Cut Pro by the time Apple purchased it in 1998.

I haven't been using Macs that long, and not as long as the first Macintosh. I love the Mac platform too, but I have all my experience with Final Cut Pro, and only a little bit with Adobe Premier. In my approach I would troubleshoot independent of the software you are using until it was isolated to a bug in that software.

Moving stills and text around the screen sounds like it would be better suited to Apple Motion or Adobe After Effects, but I don't know if you have tried it with them. Motion uses the 64-bit architecture to properly utilize large amounts of RAM, and Grand Central Dispatch to get more out of multi-core processors. Unfortunately there is no free trial with Motion, but it can be downloaded from the App Store.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/motion/

A sure fire way of testing this would be to create a partition where you install OS X and Adobe Premier, but I would not go to those lengths unless I was sure the issue was not project specific i.e. test the performance with a blank project and add some stills and text.

I just noticed I hadn't heard from you regarding a previous question, and wondered if it had helped.
www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/5upiq-wife-leaving-cruise-tomorrow-want.html

Kind regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
David,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try. I actually have Motion but have never learned the workflow.

Good job on the research and info. I appreciate it. I'll also tidy up the cruise question session. We simply turned on Airplane mode and everything was fine.

Best,
Herb