James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert

Im new to the mac and love it but am stumped on this point.

Customer Question

I'm new to the mac and love it but am stumped on this point. There are binary files that I download and the only way I've found to view them is create a pdf. However these are several 100 pages and I only want the first 4 pages. Is there a way to just copy out 4 pages of a large pdf? With a pc I used cute pdf and just created a new doc but I can't find out how to do that with the mac
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.

1. To save a document as a PDF file, select "Print..." from the "File" menu located in the upper-left-hand portion of the screen. The "Print" entry may be located under a different menu, depending on the application.

2. After a few seconds the standard 'Print' dialog will appear. Click on the button located in the lower-left-hand corner, labeled "PDF". This will bring up another menu where you can choose from a few actions associated with creating PDF documents. Select "Save as PDF...".
  3. When you get the print window, in the Pages box, type the page numbers you want - for example, for the first 4, type "1-4".
  4. Then print it, and it will create a PDF with just those pages.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My problem is that because it's a binary file the only way I can download it is as a pdf. I have a 400 page pdf, how do I get just the first 4 pages from that.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
In the PDF, click File-->Print, and print it into a PDF (I know it sounds weird). In the print window, specify the pages you want, and the new PDF will have only those pages!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I get "Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save. But when I do that I can't separate out the pages.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Did you choose: File-->Print ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Let's try another option.

Download and install Skim from:

It is a free PDF editor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok download skim, how does this work?
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Did you run it and open the PDF file?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The pdf file is open and skim is sitting on my dock but when I click on it nothing happens
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Hold on, I'll try it on my own mac
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm out of time. If you come with an answer let me know. I'll send accept so you get paid for your time, I know what that is like. But please see if you can figure this out. It would make my life a lot easier if I didn't have to print 4 pages and then scan them back into the computer.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I just tried it and it works like I told you...
Open the PDF on the Mac.
Click File-->Print
Change Pages to Range, and select the range.

Put the range of pages you want to print.
On the bottom of this window, click PDF, and save as PDF. The new PDF you save will have ONLY those pages you selected!