Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

iPad 2 Not Connecting To The Internet

My iPad 2 won't connect to the internet. Safari is not working and I can't recieve or send emails either. Whenever I go to click on something that requires internet access it just tells me page cannot be opened as I am not connected to the internet. But when I go onto the settings it says that my wifi is connected. Also my iPad touch is working fine so I am not sure what is going on. I have tried resetting the iPad and also clearing out the cookies, cache and history as suggested but still nothing. Please help

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.

What version iOS is running on your iPad currently?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have no idea what that means. I am not very techy sorry

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.

No problem.

Connect your iPad to your computer with the USB cable and open iTunes.

It should show you the details.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So all I have to do is download the newest version of iTunes and it'll be OK?

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.

Not necessarily.

But, if your iTunes version is less than 10.5.1 then I would suggest doing so.

Also, you need to check your version of iOS, the current version is 5.0.1

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am just booting up my computer and have just connected ipad via usb. Just waiting to see what happens

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
What operating system are you using?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a compaq computer, using windows on it . I don't know any more than that I am afraid. It is my dad's so I am not sure.

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.

Sounds like you have never connected your iPad to a computer before?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did it once when I first got it but I haven't done it since. I haven't had it very long and never really got round to doing it for adding my music on etc. Sorry for not being very tech savvy haha. OK I am currently downloading the new version of iTunes and also current ios version too

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.

It's a good idea to back-up and check for updates with your iPad. Often sometimes is not enough. Updates are being released by Apple continuously to patch security holes and fix issues like poor battery performance etc.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK so iTunes has been updated. I am now updating iPad software. Reckons its going to take 30 mins? Woah

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
It can depending on your connections/network speed
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The update had finished and was processing file but then a message came up saying the update couldn't be finished because of network connection error? But the internet is working fine so it said re start update

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
What Anti-Virus software is the computer running?

Turn it off, and re-try.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again I don't have much of an idea about that. Norton antivirus I believe but I am not 100% sure.

Will do that and see if it works after. The itunes update downloaded without problem I dont understand why this one isn't

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Windows and OS X /Mac do not play well together. Never have and I would have to say honestly, never will.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've never had any problems before with any Apple device and our PC. I just don't get it why its not letting me do this update. I turned PC off and back on and tried unplugging the internet modem and plugging it back in. So fingers crossed this time

Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.

I'am sorry. I think you mis-read my last statement. I suggested that you disable any Anti-Virus software on the PC and re-try.