Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

**The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired. /dev/rdisk0s2

Customer Question

**The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired.
/dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no operating system disk. I`m on the road (on the way home from Afghanistan)

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Can you boot at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Right now I have the Apple Logo and progress indicator (spinning wheel). It usually lasts about 5 minutes and then the screen goes grey... or blue... or grey and then blue.

Tried to reboot in safe mode but I got a `not permitted`kind of icon (like a no smoking symbol minus the cigarette)

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok in that case if you have another Mac around you can try booting into Target Disk Mode by holding the T key on startup then use a firewire cable to connect it to the other Mac then try third party software like Disk Warrior to try and repair it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No other Mac around. No firewire cable. Pretty basic - just my Macbook and the power cable. No software, startup disks, etc.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
In that case I'm sorry to say your are out of luck. You need either the system disk to reformat the drive or you can order the Disk Warrior DVD to boot from it and try to repair. Not sure what your options are in Afghanistan are you in the military?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.