John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x002E1EC4): Unable to find driver for this

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x002E1EC4): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook4,3".
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to assist you on this question.

Where are you seeing this error?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As it starts up. It will not progress beyond this point. There is about 1/2 a page of information. I just started with the first line.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
If you don't wish to wait for Mac_Druid, we can open your question to all Mac Support Specialists online right now. So far, 18 minutes...
Apologies, another customer required detailed explanation of a procedure.

Had you installed or upgraded any software/hard ware prior to receiving this error?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not to my knowlege. On the other hand, it is my daughters... I know that no hardware was added. I have only upgraded the memory on this notebook.
Okay, and what version of OS X does this mac run?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tiger X
Okay, do you have your original Tiger boot/install CD handy?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry no, Bought it off ebay preloaded.
Okay, this will be a little more involved but see if you can work your way through this to run fsck - the file system checker:

Restart your Mac.

Immediately press and hold the "Command" and "S" keys.

You'll see a bunch of text scrolling on your screen. In a few more seconds, you'll be dropped to a command prompt.

Now that you're at the # XXXXX here's how to run fsck:

1. Type: "fsck -y" without quotes (fsck (Spacebar) -y).

2. Press Return.

The fsck utility will report via text on your screen as it works through the hard drive. If there's damage to your drive, you'll see a message that says:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

If you see this message--and this is extremely important-- repeat running fsck. It is normal to have to run fsck more than once -- the first run's repairs often uncover additional issue.

When fsck finally reports that no problems were found (drive is OK), and the # XXXXX reappears:

3. Type: "reboot" to restart and see if the situation has improved for you.

If you have questions on the above, just let me ask.

Let me know how that works for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry... Command key?
Depending on your keyboard, the "Command" key may have an Apple logo and/or a "clover" symbol. Normally it is immediately to the left of the space bar.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guessed correctly. It comes up a little different but the command prompt will not accept typing, it is also not flashing. There was no text scrolling.

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
vm_page_bootsrap: 158774 free pages
mig_table_wax_displ = 70
Is that the very last thing you see on the screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Verson 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17-1/RELEASE _PPC

Also, talked to daghter- she has not added any new software. She said that the only thing she can download from the net is photos and that is a pain.
Okay, what specific model of PowerBook is this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model numer A1005 but I think is known as G3 white.
Okay, sounds like it's a white iBook G3 model of some sort.

Power the iBook completely off, turn it back on and immediately hold down the following keys:

COMMAND, OPTION, P, R

Hold them down until the iBook has repeated its startup chime 3 times and then let go. If there is no improvement, try the previous procedure for running fsck and see if you make it farther on that.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No help. after the last procedure, It did say: You need to restart your computer- in English, French, German and Japanese. I tried fsck after but it did not do anything different.
Okay, I'm afraid that to go any further you are going to need a copy of OS X 10.4 Tiger on CD at the very least.

Judging by the error and the roadblock you are hitting when trying to run a simple file system check, it's looking like there is corrupted data on the drive which is preventing the system from booting. Without the Tiger disc its going to be impossible to correct this on your own.

Once you have obtained a disc (I would recommend CraigsList or eBay as likely sources) you can do the following:

Insert the OS X install CD and boot from this disc (restart iBook and hold down COMMAND and C keys).

Choose your language and when you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen, go up to "Utilities" and choose Disk Utility.

In Disk Utility, select your normal, bootable hard drive volume from the list in the sidebar.

Then, Click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Then, restart your Mac and it should boot back into your normal Desktop.

If it can not repair the damage, you will need to erase the disk:

In Disk Utility, choose your hard drive from the listing in the left sidebar and then choose the "Partition" tab.

Under Volume Scheme, click "Current" and choose "1 Partition".

Name your hard drive on the right side and choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format.

Now click Apply.

Once the process has completed, exit Disk Utility and install OS X from the Tiger disc you booted from... (When you exit Disk Utility it should drop you straight back into the Installer).

If you need clarification on the above you can reply back to this thread at any time with your questions.

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If it does, please click ACCEPT so I can be credited for assisting you today. If you continue to have questions on this topic, DO NOT leave negative feedback, just reply back to this thread. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks,

Note: When leaving feedback, please judge only my personal efforts. Do not leave negative feedback for factors outside my control; such as hardware defects that must be physically repaired (obviously, not my fault), loss/lack of software or backups, or the JustAnswer website. It would be unprofessional to sugar-coat a solution and I show my respect by being upfront with you. Thanks again!
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry