John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

I would like to link a word document in an excel spreadsheet

Customer Question

I would like to link a word document in an excel spreadsheet on the Mac. I don't want the text of the document to appear in the spreadsheet (which I can do by choosing Insert/Object.) I want the pathname of the document to appear in the spreadsheet. Then I want to be able to click on the pathname and go to the word document. If I do the following:

Choose Insert from menu bar
Choose Hyperlink
Choose Document
Choose File which prompts me to go to the file name.
Click on the file name

I can get the filename to appear, but when I then click on the pathname in the excel spreadsheet it does not take me to the document, rather it gives me an error message, "cannot open specified file."

Any ideas?

Thanks
KB
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.
If you can send me both the Word file and the Excel file I will try to set up the link for you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi John, I can't find the ACCEPT button. The word ACCEPT is not a live link.

XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kathleen,

I have not posted an answer to your question yet, so you will not see the accept button until I have posted the answer. Thanks for asking though

In fact am waiting for you to send me the files

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi John,

Sorry it took so long. I replied in a regular email instead of in this box. Just learning how to work with Justaswer.

The first file is the excel file.

The first worksheet in the workbook is called overview. You will see a column on down aways that says Word Doc. or something like that.

The second and third files are a word documents that contain interviews with the teachers referenced in the overview. You can see from the word document column that I got the pathname to download, but couldn't get the word document to open once I had the pathname in the excel doc.

Please link up the Tschudy interview with one of the Tschudy rows

and the Whipp interview with one of the Whipp rows.

Thanks so much for working on this.

Best,

XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok where are the download links?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I sent you a regular email, I attached the files to the email. But when I click on the paper clip on the reply box, it prompts me to put in a graphic; it does not send me to my finder so I can attach the files. How do I get the files to you?

kathleen
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Email is not permitted on this site. Please go to http://www.2shared.com/

and upload the file (no need to signup) then copy the download link that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.2shared.com/file/rh1CEMqN/Interview_Questions_Answer_She.html

above is the download link

http://www.2shared.com/fadmin/23770312/bc123048/Interview_Questions_Answer_She.docx.html

above is the administration link.

John,

hope this works. I'm off to the theater and will have no more time to reply until I get home about 5:00 PM PST

Good luck. Sorry I didn't get the files to you until now. It is all new to me about how to do this.

Best,

Kathleen
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Kathleen, both the above links are for the Word file. I need the Excel file so I can set up the link in

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.2shared.com/file/Y_hY461T/Design_Thinking_Curriculum_spr.html

Hi John,

Well you certainly have the patience of a saint. I did upload the excel file. Not sure why it didn't come though. Anyway above is the link just for the excel file. Hope this works.
Best,

Kathleen
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Thanks

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok here are the two files zipped together.

http://www.2shared.com/file/LdyXZULS/Both_Files.html

(make sure to click the blue DOWNLOAD button at the bottom of the download page)

After downloading the zipped file, extract the files and save them both in the same folder then open the excel file. The hyperlink is in cell E1

If you want to change the location of the Word file you will need to reset the hyperlink. To display the new path in the cell CTRL + Click on the cell, and select Edit Hyperlink. The top field shows the display name, the bottom field shows the path. Copy the path to the display name.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the solution

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi John,

I Downloaded both files that were zipped together. the Bonia Whipp word file is in the excel spread sheet and it works as a live link. Now I need to know how you did that. I have to link several interviews to the overview spreadsheet. Please tell me the steps you took to get the file into excel and to make a live link. As you know, I managed to get the path name into excel, but could not make it a live link. I just tried it again and could not get a live link - just a pathname. Here is what I did:
in excel, i chose Insert/Hyperlink/ when the pop up appeard I click highlighted Document and then Search. i highlighted the file name and then I clicked open. When I clicked open, the pathname of the file I clicked on appeared at the top of the Hyperlink pop up in the box labeled "link to." Underneath is a box labeled "Display". I created a shorter name for the file and pressed OK. I got the name of the linked file in the spreadsheet, but the link isn't live. So please tell me now you made yours live and I will GLADLY press ACCEPT and pay you. And I will ask for you again next time if there is a next time. THanks so much, KB
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure how much longer this question is going to extend but you could certainly have clicked Accept by now as so far all may time has been gratis

Anyway not a problem. Will opt out. Good luck

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
John, I agree that you have spent a long time on this and I am happy to pay your more. But if I cannot replicate what you did, how can it do it myself? If you can just tell me how to do what you did, I will gladly pay you standard $58. But just having it done for me, doesn't help me do it myself. I am not trying to string you along. Kathleen
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Kathleen

Will review your last comments and get back to you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I accepted your work to date and gave you a positive review. If you can tell me how to replicate it, I will pay you the same amount again (if I can figure out how.) otherwise, I will try to tip you.

Thanks so much,

Kathleen
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Kathleen,

I read your last comments and I am finding that in my post last night I did include the instructions for applying the link yourself. Here it is again:

"...If you want to change the location of the Word file you will need to reset the hyperlink. To display the new path in the cell CTRL + Click on the cell, and select Edit Hyperlink. The top field shows the display name, the bottom field shows the path. Copy the path to the display name..."

Now if there is any part in the above procedure that is not clear or if when you try this you get stuck somehere just let me know which part you need help with so I can give you more detail

Let me know

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi John,

Below are the parts i'm unclear on. Before you read that, I think there is a version problem. Get this: When I open your version from my downloads by clicking on it, I can open the link. When I Save As that file into a new location and then reopen it, I cannot get the link to work. It sounds unbelievable, but that is what happens. I've tried to three times.

I am using Word 2008 version 12.3.1 and excel 2008. version 12.3.1. Maybe the Hyperlink function can only be made in a more recent version, but can be opened in my version.

"If you want to change the location fo the Word file." Now does this mean if I want to link a different word file to a different cell? That is what I need to do. I have several interviews and each needs to be linked to the summary of the lesson plan discussed by the teacher who as interviewed.

So let's assume that I am in a new cell want to link a new word file (not the one you linked.) Next question:

So I go to the cell in excel to which I want to link a word file and press CTRL and then click the mouse. When I do that the cell is outlined in light blue. Your next instructions are "select Edit Hyperlink. If I go to the Edit menu, there is not Hyperlink option. I have two options 1. Go to the Insert menu and click on Hyperlink or do a right mouse click and choose Hyperlink. Either way I get the Hyperlink menu. Your next instruction tells me to "Copy the path to the display name." I now have two choices (and I hope a third, which is the one I don't understand how to do). 1. Go to the second part of the Hyperlink menu and Select a document through my finder. When I click on that word document, the name appears in the Link to and in my excel file, but the link doesn't work when I go to th excel file. Or, I can do what you said and go the the finder, independently of that menu, copy the file name into the link to and display boxed. Either way I cannot get my link to work. I have closed and reopened the file and that does not help.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok will look at it later in the day

Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kathleen,

What you have done is not quite what you are supposed to do. Ok let me simplify the procedure and present it in an outline format

1- Close all Excel and Word files and all Office application

2- Open the Excel file that you would like to place the hyperlink in

3- Select the cell in question

4- Press CMD-K keys to insert a hyperlink

The following steps are all in the hyperlink dialog box:

5- Select the Document button (or click the 'Existing File or Webpage' button depending on your version of Excel)

6- Navigate to the location where your Word document is stored, and select it

7- Copy the file path from the address field and paste it in the "Text to Display" field

8- Click OK

That should do it for that file

Hope this helps.

Thanks