Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I tried to use the Time Machine software to backup my MacBook

Customer Question

I tried to use the Time Machine software to backup my MacBook Pro (10.6.8) to an external HD - MyBook. Please make some suggestions so that the entire machine can backup.
Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Max OS 10.6.8

4 GB 667MHz DDR2 SPRAM

Verify Disk-ok

Premissions repaired
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Is this a new drive or were you successfully backing up before this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did backup successful once. After that it has stopped during the backup process. This stopping has happened more than once.

I can't tell you what happened that was different between the successful to the nonsuccessful time.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Ok then in that case I would just erase the backup drive and start over since we know your system drive is OK.

Turn off Time Machine open Disk Utility select the backup drive then the Erase tab, make sure the format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then choose the Option to Zero Out data or if you see a slider just drag it to the first line. Then Erase and turn Time Machine back on.