Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

I have a Brother Printer MFC 255/CW, When I print , it says

Customer Question

I have a Brother Printer MFC 255/CW, When I print , it says Printer Offline. It is plugged in . It has ink and is on.
Category: Mac
Expert:  andymf1973 replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is Andy
I will deal with your issue as best as I can.
JustAnswer is the largest paid online Expert answers marketplace

This is the hard reset procedure, It may help in this case.....

Please turn off the printer from the mains wall socket and unplug it from your computer.
Have a cup of tea and then plug it back in and switch on.
Allow it to warm up and try printing again but this time from the notepad application.
You can find this under the "start button" and "under accessories" in "All Programs"
type something random and select "File" and Print
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a new IMac. Does that change anything? Do I still have Notepad?
No that's fine

How are the prints now?

All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have anything under my start button because it is on the back of my computer. I donot have an under accesories or all programs option. So I cannot do what you request. My printer is still off line.
Ok

Did you restart the mac and also the printer?

Ps does the printer copy?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and printer is still not working.
Ok

I will pass this question over to the mac experts.
I believe the printer isn't at fault here.

All the best
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i am sorry I didn't mention that I had a Mac originally. Thank you for passing the question on.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

You said this is a new Mac, what OS X is on it? Lion 10.7 or Snow Leopard 10.6?
Look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac'.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

How is the printer connected to the iMac?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi dan , version 10.6.8 / processor 2.5 ghz intel core i5 w/ a single wire from printer
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok, then you may just need to add the printer to your system.

Printer addition 10.6 That PDF explains how. If that gives you trouble let me know, I can break it down.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dan, i did sys prefs. it showed my printer there.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
In that case right click in the printer list (that is where it shows the printer) and select reset printing system. Then click the + to add the printer and follow the prompts.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i got to add printer, tried to add, but nothing i did would respond
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok, what kind of keyboard do you have? USB or wireless?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wireless
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Can you lay your hands on a USB keyboard of any kind?
I ask because what I want you to do next is much, much easier with a wired keyboard than a wireless.
It involves holding key combos while starting up and the wireless keyboard comes on lone too late to see them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
looked around and no luck
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok, then pay close attention to this, timing is everything.

Apple Wireless Keyboards will not recognize pressing and holding down startup keys during startup until the startup chime sound is heard. This is normal behavior. You may find it helpful to press and hold startup key combinations while the startup chime is playing. Two common startup key combinations are listed below.

Resetting PRAM

Press and hold the Command + Option + P + R keys while the startup chime is playing.

Try that and then add the printer.