Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have MAC OS X 10.6.8 software and Im unable to reinstall

Customer Question

I have MAC OS X 10.6.8 software and I'm unable to reinstall iTunes after removing Lion from my computer. I'd like to get iTunes back since it has all of my music and photos. It downloads fine but then when I try to open I get an error message that it's not compatible with Snow Leopard. Please help. Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
How did you remove Lion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I removed Lion by shutting down the computer, holding down the Option key and rebooting the system and then installing Snow Leopard in the HD. I'm not a computer techie and followed instructions from an online technical support website.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Not a good idea. You probably wiped out your iTunes. Did you erase the hard drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, all of my documents are still on the hard drive and I can access now that I uninstalled Lion. I just can't access iTunes. It appears on the hard drive but can't be opened now with Snow Leopard, which is strange because I had Snow Leopard before and Tunes was fine.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You can not go back to Snow Leopard that way. It allowed you to reinstall over Lion? Please tell me exactly what you did.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As best that I recall, I shut down the computer and held down Command C or C and it opened a screen that allowed me to install software on the FreeAgent Drive or HD. I couldn't access the FreeAgent so I installed the original Snow Leopard software on the HD. When the computer restarted, Snow Leopard was once again the system software. All of my files on the HD are intact except iTunes. I deleted the old Lion icons which were only shadows on the screen. I downloaded iTune for Mac OS X and is successfully installed; however, each time I try to open iTunes I get an error message saying the itunes could not open with this version of Snow Leopard and that I may have to reinstall iTunes, which I've done repeatedly.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Go to Macintosh HD open that and then open Users folder what is listed there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
daisyj, and it contains my personal MsWord, powerpoint, photosand Excel files

Shared, and it contains: GarageBand Demo Songs - Jan 31, 2007 and Sonos - Today 10:07pm. Sonos contains jiffs, local settings.txt, shareInfo, SonosLog.text
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
So that is ALL that is in your "home" folder? Go to the Apple Logo and click on it what does it say at the bottom of that drop down menu next Log Out....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Log Out Daisy xxxx
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok then if you do not see a Music folder in your "home" folder.... "Daisy xxxx" then you have lost it. Did you have a backup? Where did you get the directions to do that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a music folder under daisyj and it contains iTunes with all of the old files but when you click on the icons, it says there isn't a compatible software to open iTunes.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok you said "idaisyj, and it contains my personal MsWord, powerpoint, photosand Excel files" if you don't give me exact info I can't help you. What is REALLY listed there?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I have to sign off for tonight if you want to continue you can get me after aboutXXXXXUSA. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't realize that you wanted all the files listed because there were so many. Good night.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok we can fix this please come back
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll be at my office until around 6:30pm/ I'll try to reconnect then. I really appreciate your assistance and apologize for not providing the required level of information. Thanks for your patience. I just don't have a high level of computer savvy and probably followed an untrustworthy source to reinstall Snow Leopard. I wish I had never purchased Lion but oh well...
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok but why didn’t you like it?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have not resolved the problem and just decided to live with it. It's difficult with my work hours to make a good connection given our time difference.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok, good luck.