Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I cant access the iTunes store. When I click on Diagnostics,it

Customer Question

I can't access the iTunes store. When I click on Diagnostics,it says I am connected to the Internet but then I get the message "Secure link to iTunes Store failed. When I click on the Help button by that message it then says I'm not connected to the Internet. I don't have a Mac but I have a PC with Vista. Can you help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 2 years ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

Let's first uninstall and reinstall itunes. Go to the control panel and uninstall itunes, quicktime, apple software update, apple mobile device support, apple application support and bonjour.

Then restart the computer and install itunes from

www.apple.com/itunes/download

Let me know whether this resolves your issue

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did all that you suggested but it didn't help. Now when I go to the Help menu and run diagnostics it freezes.
:(

Try flushing the dns cache. Use this doc to flush the dns cache

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1527

If that does not work and if your itunes still freezes, try this doc

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1717

let me know whether this helps
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried both docs and got no improvement. I also tried the suggestions from Article TS2363 but I got the message after Instruction 6 that the file couldn't be found. I also made sure my anti-virus program was up-to-date and it was. Sorry about the lack of progress - any other suggestions?
:(

Let's try renaming the host file.

Find your hosts file. The hosts file is normally found in the following locations:

Windows Vista: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 7: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

1.Select the hosts file. Then click the Edit menu, and choose Copy.

2.Then, click the Edit menu again, and choose Paste. There should now be a duplicate of the hosts file named "hosts - Copy".

3.Drag the original hosts file to your desktop.

4.Drag the "hosts - Copy" file to your desktop. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue.

5.Right-click the "hosts - Copy" file that is on the desktop, and choose Open. You may be prompted to choose the program you want to use to open this file. Double-click Notepad.

6.When Notepad opens, click the Edit menu, and choose Select All. Then click the Edit menu again, and choose Delete.

7.Click File menu, and choose Save. Close Notepad.

8.Drag the "hosts -Copy" file from your desktop back into the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc folder. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue.

9.Right-click the "hosts - Copy" file you just moved, and choose Rename. Type "hosts" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

10.Restart your computer and try connecting to the iTunes Store
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

To access the hosts file - where do that? I know I have to type C:\WINDOWS...

but where in my computer or control panel or somewhere else?

You don't have to type C:\Windows.

Just click on the start button on your computer (the windows logo to the bottom left corner of the computer). Then click on "computer".

There you will have your C Drive. It might be named as Local Disk (C:) or HP (C:) etc.

Just open that and you will find the Windows folder inside. Then open the system32 folder,. the drivers folder and finally the "etc" folder. You will find the hosts file there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm trying my best but when I get to "etc" it asks to choose the program you want to use to open the file. I click on itunes it just bring up my itunes library. Should I click on notepad instead - I know I might have to do that in step 5 but in step 1?...

yes choose notepad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I was out of town the last few days. When I make a duplicate of the host file, do I do that on the notepad? I did that but how do I drag the copy to the desktop?
just right click on the copy of the host file, choose 'copy' and paste it in the desktop.