MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years

just installed new version of itunes, now my imac will not

Customer Question

just installed new version of itunes, now my imac will not start
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

Do you get any sound or any sign of power at all when you try to start your iMac?

Or does it power up but not boot to the main desktop ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no sound, but gray/white screen, sometimes apple logo with circling graphic ... but nothing further
Thanks for your update.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue with the gray/white screen issue.

- USE FSCK COMMAND TO VERIFY AND REPAIR DISK-

Start up your computer in Single-User Mode to reach the command line by doing this:
•Make sure your Mac is shutdown.
• Reboot your Mac
• When Mac starts up, press the Apple Command key+ S Key
- A black screen, with white text appears
• At the command-line prompt, type /sbin/fsck -fy
• Press Return.
--fsck will run through a series of tests and will return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. When completed, it will display this message if no issue is found:

The volume (name_of_your_MacOSX_volume) appears to be OK

If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED--

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning, until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

• When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.

• This last command after completing the fsck process, is going to attempt to force the boot process, to get your Mac back to the main desktop.

Let me know if this helps.

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

I will be watching for your reply.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This appears to have worked. Thank you very much.
My pleasure! And thanks so much for the Accept!

We are always glad to provide the answers that will help you with your Mac technical needs.

We also appreciate you for taking time to provide feedback of our service, as we are always striving to continually provide the best possible customer service experience for you, here with JustAnswer.com

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry
("Mactechtrainer")