Toby K.
Toby K., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  17+ years of IT support
61870206

I cannot upgrade from leopard 10.5.4 to 10..5.8 It acts like

I cannot upgrade from leopard 10.5.4 to 10..5.8 It acts like it is installing but the progress bar freezes at about 1/4 of the way. I removed the APE from logitech (not sure it was there, but I ran the command from the commond line) and tried to reinstall again to no avail.

Toby K. :

Are you runnning software update? If so, try downloading the combo update directly. Link

Customer:

Toby,

Toby K. :

yes

Customer:

I have run the combo from apples site for 10.5.5 to no avail, do you think the combo for .8 is different?

Toby K. :

so you arent having any luck doing any update

Customer:

That's correct, it always freezes at the progress bar after accepting the reboot option

Toby K. :

have you booted into safe mode yet?

Toby K. :

a safe mode boot will check your drive for file permission problems

Customer:

I tried booting using the cd disk. Not sure how to boot safe mode on a Mac,

Toby K. :

1. Shutdown the Mac.

2. Press the power button.

3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.

4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Toby K. :

when it comes up to the Desktop, restart the computer again without pressing any keys when it boots

Toby K. :

after that, try running the Software Update

Customer:

So restarting the computer puts it into safe mode, or are we just using safe mode temporarily to check the drive?

Toby K. :

restarting the computer holding the Shift key down until you see the Apple logo will put it into Safe mode.....it runs checks on the drive and file system

Toby K. :

so when it gets to the desktop, then you want to restart again without pressing any keys and that will return it to normal

Toby K. :

then you want to try and run your software update

Customer:

Ok, it will take a while to try this, can this dialogue remain open in the meantime?

Toby K. :

yeah

Toby K. :

if you have problems/questions, just reply back

Toby K. :

it will send me an email

Toby K. :

i will probably be on for another hour or so

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX in a bit.

Toby K. :

it should be done by then

Toby K. :

k

Customer:

Toby,

Customer:

Same result, the install bar comes up, it get just over an 1/8 of the way done and freezes, even the little circles for close, max, min don't work

Customer:

I have to hold the power button down to turn it off, nothing else has any affect

Toby K. :

Let's try this:

Run First Aid from your software installation DVD:

1. Insert the OS X DVD, and then restart your computer. To force your computer to boot from the DVD, hold down the C key.

2. Follow the instructions on the screen, and when the menu bar appears, from the Utilities menu, select Disk Utility.

3. In the column on the left, select the volume, Macintosh HD, and then on the right, click the First Aid tab.

4. To begin a verification process (a simple check for errors), click Verify Disk. To verify and repair any problems on the selected volume(s), click Repair Disk. You can stop the scan at any time by clicking Stop Verify or Stop Repair.

Toby K. :

When you are done, exit Disk Utility, reboot your system, download the Combo Update (link) and try installing it without using Software Update.

Customer:

Ok, I will try the above. I need to move some files and backup others before I do this, so it will take awhile.

Toby K. :

ok, it shouldn't hurt anything, but it's always good to be on the safe side

Toby K. :

let me know. I just have feeling its a files permissions problem. usually safe mode fixes most of the problems, but sometimes you need to fix a little deeper and that is what first aid should do. thanks

Customer:

Toby,

Customer:

I am finally downloading 10.5.8 combo. It is downloading to the downloads folder. It seems to be downloading earlier versions of OSX as well, is that the combo part? Once downloaded, do I open the download folder and click on the file to install it?

Toby K. :

yeah

Toby K. :

the combo has everything

Toby K. :

its a full setup

Toby K. :

So when it's done downloading, click on it and install it

Customer:

Hi Toby

Customer:

It is working now and here is what I think happened

Toby K. :

what happened

Toby K. :

glad that it's working btw

Customer:

I ran first aid and disk repair as well as a permissions repair after having run in safe mode as you suggested. There were no repair problems found but it found and repaired a lot of permissions issues. I checked the download folder and found several partial downloads of the update which I deleted. I then started a new download and the download window showed all the downloads I had attempted previously even though I had deleted the downloads attempts from the download folder. All of the downloads shown in the window were in the 70 to 80 Mb range. Since that is only about 10% of the file size that gets downloaded, they were obviously not complete downloads. So I then removed the those previous downloads from the download window and It took about 2 1/2 hours to do download the update combo from the web. Once that was accomplished it installed without a problem. I think it wasn't downloading properly through the software updates menu and once I did a manual download after fixing permissions it worked. Thanks for your help, I don't think I would have figured this one out without it. I am very good at PC, but Macs still baffle me.

Customer:

Thanks again,

Customer:

Toby K. :

awesome...you will find that mac are actually easier to fix once you get a hang of them

Customer:

Oops, I meant to say it was downloading improperly through software updates. The manual method seemed to work much better.

Toby K. :

yeah

Toby K. :

and plus it download the entire update..not bits and pieces

Toby K. :

it worst most of the time like that, but not always

Toby K. :

it kinda reads what you need updated, and then tailors the package accordingly

Customer:

I can now attempt updating from lightroom 2 to 3 and get back to my photography!

Customer:

thanks again and I will hit the accept button, you saved me from missing a deadline.

Customer:

Toby K. :

thanks

Toby K. :

glad I could help

Toby K. :

ttyl Richard

Customer:

By the way, is there a way to request you again if I should need another answer?

Toby K. :

yeah

Toby K. :

when you put in your question, you can request me

Toby K. :

and then it sends me an alert

Customer:

Great, if I have any more problems, I will do that.