Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My wife has an iMac G5. It has stopped working. It tells me

Customer Question

My wife has an iMac G5. It has stopped working. It tells me that the hardware is OK. I have tried to reload the software but every time it stops at "target disk selection." It offers no target disk.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Then I would say the internal hard drive has failed or is corrupt:

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it looks as though the hard disk is no longer with us. Thanks for you help.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Ok good luck.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hard drives are cheap but of course if you lost everything that is not good. Did you have a backup?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Need more help?