Mary, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  25+ years supporting the Mac graphic arts industry

Are there any known issues with using a MacBook Air with Samsung

Customer Question

Are there any known issues with using a MacBook Air with Samsung SCH-1800 tablet acting as MiFi? I have had problems since getting both in April 2011. I can start up the tablet, activate the 3G Mobile Hotspot, and connect the Mac to the internet. Then I am good for about 5-10 minutes of browsing before the connection just sort of stops. I can then re-boot the tablet, and it works for a short time again. I just tried the hotspot with a Toshiba pc, and didn't seem to have any issues.

I recently had problems with Google Chrome browser, so went back to Safari-still issues. So I just downloaded Mozilla FireFox to see if there might be a problem with the browser. Haven't tested it enough to know yet. Thought I'd check with the guys who might know of a problem. Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mary replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mary and I'll do my best to help you solve your Mac issue.

If you can use the tablet successfully as a MiFi with a Windows computer, then this rules out a lot of possibilities and focuses the problem squarely on the Mac side of the issue.

First, I'd suggest you do some serious testing with Firefox before determining anything else. I have advised lots of JA Mac customers to ditch Safari and Chrome in favor of Firefox and have seen many problems solved.

Though none have been the same as yours, it would not at all surprise me to learn that switching to Firefox solves your problem as well.

Do some testing and let me know if you are still having problems. If so, we'll move on from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As of last night, I still had my problems. I do think Firefox is more stable with the tablet than either Safari or Chrome, but I still was having times when I had to reboot the tablet once or even twice to get my Mac to reconnect to the internet through the MiFi in the tablet. I tested the tablet with the PC, and found that it wasn't able to connect to the tablet, either, when the problem occured on the Mac. Then found that at that same time, the tablet wasn't connecting to the internet, without being rebooted. So I am back to thinking that the tablet has some glitch in its software causing my problem, not the Mac.

Last night, I got a notification from Samsung that there was a new system update. I am testing the whole thing again with this new system. So far, I am hopeful that things are better.

Since I have not resolved my problem, I do not think your answer was of any help to me. If you have other ideas, I would welcome them. Paul
Expert:  Mary replied 4 years ago.
Since you did also have problems with the PC, I think your suspicion of a glitch with the tablet itself is correct.

I'll opt out and see if another expert has further suggestions.

You don't need to relist your question. A new expert will join this discussion.

I really hope you get your problem solved!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I am still giving the new tablet system a checkout. Hope they solved the problem.
Expert:  Mary replied 4 years ago.
Do let me know, I am curious.