David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

i just installed lion and now my scanner will not work. i

i just installed lion and now my scanner will not work. i get the error message "You can't open the application CanoScan Toolbox 5.0.app because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."
Do you know how i can get the scanner working again? thanks.shelley
Hi my name is David.

Please open System Preferences - Accounts (Users & Groups in Lion) - Login Items.

Then highlight any startup software for CanoScan, and press the minus button to remove it as a login item.

Then restart you Mac, and open the Application Image Capture, in Applications folder.

You should see your Scanner in Image Capture under devices and start scanning.

Best regards,
David.

PS Please bookmark this page if you want to get back to this answer again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. i did this but there is no startup software for canoscan there.
Did you see the scanner in Image Capture?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I need you to be more basic please. where would i find image capture. thanks for your patience.
No worries. Click the Spotlight icon in the top right, and type "Image Capture" without quotes, and press enter. Do you see the scanner? (click the triangle to the left of Devices if not)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i see the scanner

The Canoscan software used different binary code, which was designed for IBM CPU's. Apple haven't used IBM CPU's in Macs since 2007. All Mac's from 2008 and onward use Intel CPU's.

Lion dropped the application Rosetta, which used to translate the binary code in the Scanner software from IBM CPU code to Intel CPU code during that transition.

You can use Image Capture which is very flexible. Highlight your scanner and you can see an overview scan, and set the options of the scan.

I hope this resolves the issue.

Best regards,
David.