Kevin N
Kevin N, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft and Mac Proficient Repair and Troubleshooting Tech.

Our hard drive crashed with our i-tunes library. Is there

Our hard drive crashed with our i-tunes library. Is there any way to restore the library from the i-pod itself?

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

As long as the information (music, videos, etc.) is still on the iPod, it can be retrieved with either of these methods:

There are two different ways - one is paid (Music and Videos) and one is free (Music Only).

Here is a paid version:

The free version (Music Only) is with a utility called PodPlayer. The utility is made to play your iPod on a computer without iTunes, but it has a file extraction feature. Here is the download link:

If you are going to use this option, uninstall iTunes first. Install the PodPlayer and connect your iPod. It will bring up a window to show your music - select it all, then use the Extract Songs button in the bottom right corner to save all of your music to a folder (in your Music folder).

After that is done, verify everything is present in the folder, then install iTunes. In iTunes, click File>>Add Folder to library, then add the folder you made. You can re-sync or add a new iPod to sync to.