Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I want to merge users on a new MacBook Air. When I migrated

Customer Question

I want to merge users on a new MacBook Air. When I migrated files from my old PC it created a new user with those files. I don't want to switch users every time I use the old files.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hi My name is Ashik. I hope i can help you.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mac OSX 10.7.2 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Enable the root or superuser account on your Mac. Follow the instructions in here : http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.7/en/mh35611.html

Then logout from Apple menu. In the Login screen, click Other. In the Name field, type: root

In the Password field, type the password you defined for root. This will login to the root account. In there, open Macintosh HD and open Users folder. You can see the old and new account in there. Open old account and copy the files and paste them into new account's folder. Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after it worked.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
#6 on the help sheet does not have an Enable Root User Option. My system does not seem to follow the order on this help sheet. Perhaps you can call me. Dennis Dickinson XXX-XXX-XXXX
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Can't you see a option like this ?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found the option & created a root password, logged out, tried logging in to root with my password but it won't recognize my password.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Did you used the root password ? Do you have a external drive ?