Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

When I started using my computer after my 12 year old grandson

Customer Question

When I started using my computer after my 12 year old grandson had used it, my Word icon had a big question mark on it. When I tried to move it, it went poof and disappeared. Now I can't find Word anywhere. It's not in My Mac applications. It I looked in trash and don't see it there. My Mac is an OS X version 10.5.8
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

If and I mean if you backed up applications then you can restore from Carbonite, if not then dig out the Microsoft Word (Office) disks and reinstall.

I suggest doing a Spotlight search before doing that though.
In the top right corner is a thing that looks like a magnifying glass. Type MicroSoft or Word and it will tell you if it finds it. It will not tell you where it is, Finder will.
If that shows it as a hit then open a Finder window by clicking on the blue face in the dock and type Word (or whatever you used) into that search box.
As in that image, the path to find it will be shown on the bottom of the Finder window.

Try that and let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried all the steps you suggested and Word comes up at the top of the Finder Screen but below is totally empty. When I open all my documents they come up as Text Edit in small screens.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Try what the image shows. Type Microsoft Office in the box.
You should see that. Word will be inside that folder if it still lives on your Mac.
If not you will need the disk to reinstall it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's just not there. Excel and the other programs are there but no Word. I have all my original install disks. Do I just start out with them and try to find Word in the Office 2008
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Use those to reinstall Microsoft Office, it will not harm any documents you have or hurt any data. It will simply put all the applications back where they should be.
Insert the disk and follow the prompts, you may need to double click the installer to get it started.

That will put things back like they were. You may need to put them back into the dock, just drag the application and push in, the other icons will move to make room. This will show you how.
Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics that has many videos to show you many things that you may not know about your Mac.