Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I have an I-Pod, I think it has 32mb because it was the larger

I have an I-Pod, I think it has 32mb because it was the larger of the two available when I bought it. Last week on this computer I pushed the latest download when prompted and a first time ever message came back saying the download does not work with Windows XP even though all previous downloads worked fine.
Then something happened that never happened before either. When I connect the I-Pod there is no longer a connection for the sync and backup, nor is there recognition of my I-Pod when I log onto the I-Tunes site. It charges fine, but no syncs.
I tried the "Reset I-Pod Touch" procedure on the support sight including holding both the On/Off/Wake and Home button for at least ten seconds, but after that I still cannot sync or backup. Any thoughts please? I really appreciate your help! DeWitt Gibson, Phoenix.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello DeWitt, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

The update was iTunes 10.5 correct?
Sounds like you did everything right but sometimes even that doesn't work.
Is your XP all up to date?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
While I did not write the version down, it was just last Thursday, so I assume it was to 10.5, and yes my XP is up to date and works for every program I use. I always check for Windows updates when prompted and the last one a week ago said I am up to date.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Was that above what you needed?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that is.
Open iTunes and under Help select 'About iTunes'.
Also when you held the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons di you wait for the Apple to appear?
That is what is needed to reset the iPod.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will try that now. Yes, I did wait for the Apple to appear before letting go of the buttons.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Under Help, About i-tunes it said version 10.4.10.
When I did the reset procedure again and held for 10 seconds, the message on the i-tunes site said "This I-Pod cannot be used because the Apple Mobile Device service is not started."

I have to leave in a while for a luncheon appointment. Can we try again when I come back if I leave this screen open?

Appreciate your efforts. Sorry it's not working yet.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you can also bookmark it. I suggest doing that as one never knows what could happen.
That is informative and I will have more when you return.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just bookmarked it and will look again when I return. Really appreciate your help.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure, I am at your service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I'm back and we left off that the I-Tunes site says the Apple Mobile Device service is not started. What do we do now please?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The restart procedure tried twice once again did not work. So, I clicked on downloading the latest version and when I did that I got a strong warning that the program had not been approved for Windows testing and the continuing the installation might damage my entire computer.

Wow. Not what do we do please?
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
That makes no sense.
What is giving you that warning? WHat kind of anti software do you have? That could very well be the issue here.
Look at the steps here and see if anything helps.
I will be back shortly.
I do recommend looking at any anti software you have, I suspect it of causing problems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have AVG anti-virus software if that helps. I am not experiencing any computer or software problems of any kind other than trying to backup my I-Pod Touch since the last download would not proceed without that strong warning that it might affect my system. All previous Apple downloads worked perfectly every time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Realize that EST you left some time ago, so let's please try connecting tomorrow. Meant a lot that you tried so hard to help me today. I'll contact you when I come in tomorrow. We are 3 hours earlier than you here in Phoenix.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
I had to eat and the Mrs came home from school.
That is the anti virus doing that, it thinks that the backup is a virus.
Disable that and do the iPod then when finished enable it again.
I am sure that this is where the issue is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Daniel -
It has been interesting today. Good news - it's all fixed, but it took a surprising turn (from my non-technical make-up) to get it resolved.
I did as you suggested and disabled the AVG firewall, but nothing happened. I also tried downloading the i-Tunes 5.0 with the AVG firewall disabled, but that did not work as I got a MS warning do not do that..
So, I went way back to your "is your XP up to date?" by going on Microsoft and getting a new Security Pak.
Then I downloaded the i-Tunes 5.0 for about 40 minutes and yes, it worked and my i-Touch is now backing up like normal.
Hooray, and many, many thanks for your help. Wow - was a lot of effort.
All the best, XXXXX XXXXX in Phoenix
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Glad to hear it, I have found that it is usually something simple and overlooked that gets in the way.
Thanks for the update.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.