Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I forgot my adminstator password XXXXX misplaced the Idisk

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

The install disks are what you want, any retail version of OS X the same as what is on the iMac or newer will work.
Without a disk it becomes much more difficult to reset the password.
Is there anyone that you know that has installation disks. If yes and they have a laptop and a firewire cable then using their disk is another option.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I don't know anyone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
this is a scam, i've waited for two hours for a response.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
I don't know why you would think that. I help many people and answer as I can as do all the experts here.
You are the only person that you know that uses a Mac?
This is one way to resolve this but be careful.

To do this, follow these steps EXACTLY:

New admin account from Boot:

Reboot

Do a restart and hold COMMAND and S keys down as soon as you hear the chime.

When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):

mount -uw / Note the spaces after mount and the w. very important

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone note the space after the rm

shutdown -h now note the space after the n in shutdown and after the h

When it restarts, you will have a new admin account to boot into.

Now go to the Apple Menu and choose System Preferences. Click on Accounts.

Click on his account and try to change the password. If you cannot, then deleting and saving is the only option to get access to those files.

Delete the User and it will ask you what to do with it. Choose save as archive/image.

The OS will remove that user and save it on your Desktop or in the Macintosh HD.

Double-click to open it. The files will be saved in various locations in that mounted image.

Like I said, with a disk or another Mac plus a firewire cable it gets much easier.
This is no scam but patience is required.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what happens if i don't do it right do i lose all my music and personal files and photos?

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
That is why I do not recommend this to start with. If there is an Apple store nearby you would do well to go there. They will have the disk that is needed to do this without losing anything.
That is another reason I suggested finding someone in area that can assist.
I can walk you through it but you have to supply the raw material.
If you attend a church that is a good place to inquire, try the tech team.