David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

Im trying to hook up my new USB Mic and all the settings are

Customer Question

I'm trying to hook up my new USB Mic and all the settings are correct. It even shows on garageband that the USB Mic is connected but I still can't record no sound.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did you click on record in the track?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ofcourse te problem seems to be a whole lot deeper than that.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok so you have it setup under System Preferences / Sound as the input device?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Also in GB/ Preferences / Audio / Midi?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes sir. What does GB stand for by the way? I'm swedish I know english but some terms i will ask about.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Sorry GB Garage Band.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay well yes, it even shows that its selected as "USB Mic" but I still cant record nothing.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Are you sure the track is a voice track and not an instrument track?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sure.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
It should be blue. Ok In System Preferences / Sound / Input do you see the bar move when you talk?

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I see it but it's not reacting to the sound I'm making when it's set to USB Mic only when it's set to Internal mic.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK go to Utilities / Audio/Midi setup and change the settings on the USB mic it may be too high try 44KHz and 16 bit. What model mic is it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a Sinn1 USB, looks like this.

http://www.conrad.se/?ref=pricerun&article=303814

I think it already have that setting.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok I have the brochure try 16 bit 48 KHz
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm pretty sure that's the setting i've got. Let me show you on the picture. The text is in swedish but the buttons are the same. Is this the right setting or is it hard to tell because of the language? graphic
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No you have it set to 44 KHz
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I set it to 48. Tried to record. Still nothing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Still no sound from my USB mic in garageband even though i checked up on all the MIDI settings and so on.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Version 10.6.8

Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok just checking to make sure it was a USB 2 Mac. I will opt out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What does opt out mean? Tongue out
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
It means it is open to other experts, good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So you give up?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You relisted before I gave up???
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did? I still wanna solve my problem though. Not used to tis website.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
K
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So why can't you help me again?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I've done everything I know of.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh okay.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am i supposed to pay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am i supposed to pay?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You have not Accpted that is up to you, I have another thing you can try is that an iMac?:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it's a macbook pro. and the question is still open for other experts?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Is it a Macbook with a removable battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it is not.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys. 

Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will all my documents disappear after i do this?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No this does not affect the hard drive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, well I did it and still have the same problems. Maybe I need to go to a macstore and get it fixed over there somehow. I see no other option at this point.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I would say yes have you called the manufacuturer of the Mic?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I have not but I'm pretty sure they can't help me since it's the computer that is making the trouble.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
How do you know that? I would call them, it is their product.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Guess I could try that. But im pretty sure they can't give me more help than you or the manual. I'll call them
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well no luck, the manufacturer is german, poor english and they couldn't do anything for me.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Do you have another computer you can try it on? Can you return it for another model that we know works with Mac?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Are there any switches on the mic their docummentation is very poor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I know, I've checked that already. There's no switch.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
still have'nt been able to hook my USB mic up with garageband on macbookpro.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi I have a few ideas.

In System Preferences -> Sound -> Input -> USB Mic, is the Input Volume all the way down?

Can you see the blue pips if you move the Input Volume slider?

Do you have any other USB devices connected?

Have you tested in a new user account?

Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know how but it is picking up sounds, only when you scream! I dont know why this is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now it stopped working again, tried to create a new profile and that didnt work.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

It sounds like the Mic is dodgy, have you tried it on another Mac?

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope, I'm sending it to the manufacturer hoping to get a new one. i'll give u an update once i get the new.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it! Best of luck!