Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My computer has turned rediculously slow with Safari. I may

Customer Question

My computer has turned rediculously slow with Safari. I may have gone on to an'unfriendly' website. Anything other than safari, such as pics or docs, it works ok.
unable to download attachments, facebook msgs.
can i fix this problem myself or should I make appt for Genius Bar?
thanks, amy
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

We can delete Safari's Preferences and see if that works or not

Close Safari and goto Macintosh HD/Users/[your user name]/Library/Preferences folder and trash the file "com.apple.safari.plist"

Now open Safari..Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after it worked.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
right now I am using my PC. I am not able to get connect to internet on Mac.
please tell me where to go to Mac HD, first of all.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Macintosh HD is your hard disk's name and you can access it from desktop or from Finder in left column.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, I clicked on Macintosh HD on my desktop; now its showing Applications folder.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Open it and open Users folder. Open your home folder. Open Library folder. Open Preferences folder and trash the file.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i see the file com.apple.address How do I trash the file?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
The file name is com.apple.safari.plist

Just select it and press Command + delete or click and drag it to Trash
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now may I open Safari?? and iinternet connections should work?
please tell what I did to cause this to happen? went to 'bad' website??
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, open it. It should work...Let me know if that didn't worked.

Common with Safari. No...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot connect to internet at all now.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you getting any errors ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
only blank screen that shows safari logo; and "You are not connected to the internet. Safari cna't open the http://www.yahoo.com/' because your computer isnt connected to the internet. NO error message
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I think the problem is not with your Safari, but with your internet. Does other apps like Apple Software Update works ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NO. I dont think it's the internet problem; this pc i am working off now on same internet line is fine. And I have no made any changes on my internet connection on the Mac.
Ashik, if this cant be resolved here, I can make appointment at Genius Bar at the store and have them work on it; which is what I had originally planned to do.
Gave this mac help method a chance, but seems it's not working.
thanks, and please advise.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I meant the internet connection of your Mac. Can you do Software Updates from Apple menu and see if it works or not ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, can not do Software Updates from Apple menu......"you are not connected to the internet"....."network problem" so cant check for updates.
Prior to removing the file, I had bit of difficulty connecting to internet; but then when I did connect, it was really slow moving.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
These solutions you gave did not work. I will have to pursue other measures.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Your Mac is not connected to internet or not communicating with your router. Can you turn off both your Mac and router and turn them on after 5 minitues and try Safari ?

Also, make sure its connected to the internet by going to System Preferences > Network
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, I finally went on my Linkshys and reset some settings with my new password, since the Mac was not accepting my old password. I finally have the Mac online now.
I do appreciate your suggestions. Do I still pay you the $38??
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You already Accepted and paid...If you are not satisfied with my answers, you can get refund from JustAnswer.