MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I want to purchase a macpro laptop for business use, I need

I want to purchase a macpro laptop for business use, I need to use IE to access my CRM software via the internet (the CRM only works on IE), and I need to send and receive MS Word, Excel and Ppt files that can be received and sent via my IE CRM--what software do I need to purchase to go with my macpro laptop to make all of this work (is it VM Fusion, Windows XP...)
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

**Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• There may be varying opinions about this, but from my experience as a cross-platform (Mac/PC) user myself, I use VMWare Fusion 4.0. (it sells on Amazon.com for $44.24 USD)

Not only does it allow you to easily set up a Windows XP, Vista or Win 7 virtual desktop with relative ease, it also has great secondary software tools you can install to allow you to share files between your Mac and your PC.

What's more, although I do like Parallels for Mac as another virtualization software, I find that VMWare is very good for not eating up your memory resources like Parallels, thereby allowing you to run a smooth Windows virtual desktop right from within your Mac OS X screen. I use it with my dual boot Intel iMac with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and Mac OS X 10.6.8 and it works great.

If there is any other recommendation I would make, it would be to max out your memory on your Mac Pro, as much as you can, so you can really make sure of your virtual machine and your Mac OS X desktop.

Let me know if this helps.

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

Please do not press "Accept" until you have experienced a resolution from this answer and are satisfied with the results.

Be sure to bookmark this page in your web browser, so you can return to it, in the event you have to reboot your computer or leave from this session for a period of time.

If you are satisfied with my services and do Accept my initial answer, please do not hesitate to provide some feedback from your experience, as this allows us to determine if you are satisfied with our service as a whole.

Until then, I will be watching for your next reply as necessary.

Thanks!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will purchase the laptop and then purchse:
1-VM Fusion 4 and
2-Windows XP and
3-MS Office

Silly question, but should I install the software in this order
1-Windows XP
2-MS Office
3-VM Fusion

Or, should I install in a different order
No such thing as a silly question, you happen to be speaking with a virtualization specialist. I love virtual terminal software, so keep firing away those questions!

The actual order should be
1. Purchase and Install VMWare 4.0 first
2. The install Windows XP as a vdmk or Virtual Desktop file within the VMWare application.
3.) Install the VMWare tools provided within the VMWare application
-- before installing Office, make sure to install all of the updates for Windows XP
including all of your service packs, anti-virus software or security suite software
(yes you have to protect your Windows machines just like standalone PCs)
Then--
4. Install MS Office.

That is exactly what I had to do on my system last month.
Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks!

-Terry
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Thank you for the Accept and the kindness of your Bonus! I appreciate this very much.

I hope the information I provided you, has helped you resolve your Mac technical issue.

However, remember, an "Accept" is not necessarily the end of the session, especially if you still have questions, or you find your issue is still not resolved after accepting my initial answer.

So please, feel free to reply again, if you still have questions regarding the question I just answered for you.

If you are satisfied with the Answer(s) provided you, however, we appreciate you taking a moment to provide feedback of our service, as we are always striving to continually provide the best possible customer service experience for you, here with JustAnswer.com

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry ("Mactechtrainer")