MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

After saving the Olympus photo file onto a memory stick, the

Customer Question

After saving the Olympus photo file onto a memory stick, the photo file itself seemed to disappear from the commputer. Stragey, when I want to add photos as attachments to emails, they are still all there. How, please, may I retrieve the Olympus photo file so that it is back on teh screen and can be opened and accessed and printed from?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

*Please note: An "Answer" by me, or an"Accept" from you, does not mean the session has ended. So please remain patient with me and I will work
diligently, to resolve your technical question to your satisfaction.-Thanks!*
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?

• Also,just so I understand, when you mention the photo file disappearing from your computer, do you mean, the Olympus photo file had an icon which was originally showing on your desktop, then all of sudden it was no longer there?

Please answer these researching questions I have submitted, as well as you are able to. Any answers to these questions I have asked you, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question for you.

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX answers to your two questions are:

Mac OS X Version 10.5.8

YES. IN ITS PLACE WAS JUST AN ICON CALLED "iPhoto". This seems not to want to open.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX exactly what I wanted to know, so the iPhoto application which was revealing your Olympus Photo file in its application window, is now not launching for you, and so it is iPhoto that is giving you the problem. Am I correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
iPhoto that is giving you the problem. Am I correct?

YES
Thank you again for confirming that for me.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

• From your desktop, click anywhere on a blank space on your desktop. Now you should see Finder listed near the Apple menu icon.

• From the Finder menu, click on Go, then Home from the drop-down menu. This will take you to your Home folder.

• Locate and open the Library folder

• Within Library folder look for the Preferences folder and open it.

• Locate and remove to the Trash, this file:
com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Once you have removed these files, then click the back button on your open Finder window. This will return you to the Library view.

• Locate and Trash the folder entitled Caches

Once you have done that, close all windows, click on the Apple menu icon located in the upper left corner of your screen and select Logout <username>, so you can log out of your user account.

*Once you are logged out, simply log back in. This actions will restore all the files and folders you just trashed, with new copies of each of them.

*Now attempt to access your iPhoto application and see if it launches this time around.

Let me know if this helps.

This is my first answer, but certainly not my last, as long as this issue remains unresolved.

Please do not press "Accept" until you have experienced a resolution from this answer and are satisfied with the results.

Be sure to bookmark this page in your web browser, so you can return to it, in the event you have to reboot your computer or leave from this session for a period of time.

If you are satisfied with my services and do Accept my initial answer, please do not hesitate to provide some feedback from your experience, as this allows us to determine if you are satisfied with our service as a whole.

Until then, I will be watching for your next reply as necessary.

Thanks!

Regards,

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My Finder menu doesn't have :Go" in it, and so it can't take me to my "Home" folder!

What do I do now, please, terry?

Douglas.
No worries Douglas, it is there.

graphic

But to make it easier for you, just click the Finder icon located on the far left corner of your Dock.

*This will open up your Home folder where you can then access the Library folder and continue the procedure of removing the iPhoto plist file.

(Here is a screen shot showing the Home >Library view)
graphic

Try this path and then continue with the rest of my instructions. Let me know if you run into any further challenges.

I will be watching for your next update.

Thanks!

-Terry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Terry.

I'll try.

Have to go now, but I'll contact you tomorrow.

All the best!

Douglas.

No worries Doug, I will be here.

Just bookmark this page in your web browser so you can contact me again by reposting back into this session. I will be alerted via email and then I can respond back to you.

Thanks sir I look forward to communicating with you then.

Regards,

-Terry
Experience: Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hallo, Terry!

Very many apologies for your having to wait so long for my answer. Things have been a trifle hectic this end.

Thanks for all you efforts on my behalf. I do accept your answer and so your fee should be winging its way t you.

The state of play now is this: my inspiration, effort and an amount of luck, I have managed to solve my problem, and all seems well. However, if I do experience further difficulties, then I know whom to approach.

Again, very many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the best to you.

Douglas Hoare, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, NG34 7NB, UK.
My pleasure Douglas-- thanks so much for the Accept!

We are always glad to provide the answers that will help you with your Mac technical needs.

We also appreciate you taking a moment to provide feedback of our service, as we are always striving to continually provide the best possible customer service experience for you, here with JustAnswer.com

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry