Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have microsoft office 2007 for mac. All parts have worked

Customer Question

I have microsoft office 2007 for mac. All parts have worked until now. Suddenly I can't get powerpoint to open. What should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Go to Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences drag com.microsoft.Powerpoint.plist to the trash then restart and try again.
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried what you said and nothing changed. When you say restart what do you mean? Restart the computer, reinstall ms ppt? restart my ppt presentation? Your explanation wasn't clear for someone like me.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I had a meeting restart the computer. Then try.... what does it do exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried that and it still does not work. I get a message that says: Check the developer to make sure that ppt works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the app. And then this is the detail report:
Process: Microsoft PowerPoint [234]
Path: /Applications/Microsoft PowerPoint.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft PowerPoint
Identifier: com.microsoft.Powerpoint
Version: ??? (???)
Build Info: Unknown-110427~0
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [150]

Date/Time: 2011-11-02 08:04:08.545 -0700
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 367411 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 9
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 9
Anonymous UUID: B75FF65A-D97C-4F98-B1F2-22D41DC55B01

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftComponentPlugin
Referenced from: /Applications/Microsoft PowerPoint.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft PowerPoint
Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4162b dyld 132.1 (???) <39AC3185-E633-68AA-7CD6-1230E7F1CEF4> /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBookPro5,5, BootROM MBP55.00AC.B03, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.47f2
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, PCI, 256 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8D), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.42.4)
Bluetooth: Version 2.4.5f3, 2 service, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HTS545025B9SA02, 232.89 GB
Serial ATA Device: HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8507, 0x24400000 / 2
USB Device: Internal Memory Card Reader, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8403, 0x26500000 / 2
USB Device: USB Receiver, 0x046d (Logitech Inc.), 0xc52f, 0x06200000 / 3
USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub, 0x0a5c (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0x06100000 / 2
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8213, 0x06110000 / 4
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x0236, 0x04600000 / 3
USB Device: IR Receiver, 0x05ac (Apple Inc.), 0x8242, 0x04500000 / 2

The crazy thing is it did work only a few months ago. And all the other parts word, excel work. Now what?

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok but there os no Office 2007 for Mac do you mean 2008?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, yes it is 2008
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the install disk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i believe i have it at work but i'm not there today. I will be there tomorrow.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok you need to go to Applications / Microsoft Office 2008 / Additional Tools and run Remove Office. Then reinstall and update as necessary.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay, I'll try it tomorrow and let you know if that worked. Can you tell me why this happened?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No not really. but do this first:

open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am I doing this after I take off ms and reinstall or before? When I go to Mac HD in that window there is nothing showing in the box to the right. Do I just verify when there is no disk to highlight? Sorry I'm usually not that confused but I want to make sure I'm not whiping off my whole hard drive.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No do it before you remove office, did you open Disk Utility?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I did the verify disk and part way through it came back with this message in the tray: The voluem Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired. Error: this disk needs to be repaired...then use Disk Utility to repair this disk.

And a box shows up on top that stays: Disk Utility stopped verifying "Macintosh HD"
This disk needs to be repaired. Start up your computer with another disk (such as your Mac OS X installation disc), and then use Disk Utility to repair this disk.

So now my question is how do I use another disk to start up? Or do I continue to follow your directions? The Repair Disk button is grayed out so that I can not use it.

I really appreciate your help with this. I am out of my element!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
In that case:

Put the current operating system disk in (the disk that came with your computer unless you have upgraded, in that case use the new system disk) and restart holding down the letter C key until you see the Apple logo. Choose your language then you get to the install screen DO NOT INSTALL, you will see at the top of the screen a Utilities menu drop down. Go the Disk Utility, Highlight your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) and click on Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK and only if that is OK click on Repair Permissions. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay Mike, I have repaired the disk successfully and now am back on my hard drive. Should I try ppt now or should I still uninstall ms and start over again?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok you can try
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I tried to open ppt and still get the same error message. So I am guessing I need to uninstall microsoft office altogther and reinstall?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes, sorry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mike, I'm at work now and I can't find the ms program. So if I don't have the install disk what do I do?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Obviously you will need that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Mike,

Found my office mac program. Uninstalled and reinstalled and everything is working fine now. Thank you!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
GREAT!!!