David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

how do I fix Mac Mini from constantly ejecting cds

Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is David.

Can you first try disconnecting any external devices and reset the SMC.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Try a disc now, and if that fails shut down again. next try the parameter RAM.

1. Shut down.
2. Press the power button, and straight away press and hold all these keys:
-  Key (cmd)
- Option Key (alt)
- P Key
- R Key
3. Keep those keys held until you hear two startup chimes.
4. If you don't hear two startup chimes, it hasn't worked. Shut down again and try again.

Try a disc now, and if it fails please reply, I will help more.

Best regards,
David.

PS Please bookmark this page if you want to get back to this answer again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
usually my typesetter works on this mac/
, whats the smc
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

The SMC is the System Management Controller, and it's a part of the logic board that controls all the micro voltages in the computer. It needs to be reset sometimes, when there are apparent hardware issues.

On your Mac Mini the steps to reset the SMC are quite easy.
1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.

Parameter RAM stores things in non-volatile RAM when the machine is powered off. It keeps things like startup disk, volume, screen brightness. It may need a reset sometimes, in situations like this one.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried 3 times, doesn't help, there was never any chimes
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.

Did you do the SMC step first?

The Parameter RAM step isn't easy to get right, you need to get all those keys down pretty sharpish after pressing the power button.

Give it a few more tries, and if it fails get back to me.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you still there, it took 1 disc and held it, i ejected and tried again and it's not working.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Yes, still here. Did you try the SMC step first, and then the Parameter RAM step second? Did you hear the startup tone twice? Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, i heard it twice, and it worked for 1 disk, but when I ejected and tried again, the same problem exists
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Can you try Safe Boot.

To start in Safe Boot power off, then power on and immediately hold down the shift key until you see the spinning gear.

Does it eject now? can you also try with the install disc to see if that is ejected?

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the gear keeps spinning, how long before the mac should start up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it worked one time, then I tried a second time to keep a disk in and it didn't work.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
HI,

Open System Preferences and Accounts (Users & Groups in Lion) and unlock the padlock in the bottom left, and click the plus in the lower left.

Create a new Administrator account with username test and password XXXXX

When it ask if you want to turn off Automatic Login, choose the option to turn it off.

Click shutdown from the Apple menu in the top left.

Power on and lick the test user at the Login Window and login.

Can the discs be loaded now? Are you using the discs that came with the Mac during these step?

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
none of this is working, I went a bought an external drive
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to hear that. If you were to need to know if the internal one has a hardware issue for sure, for example to sell it on, then I can help you determine if it is or not, by trailing a boot to the install disc next. Also as you have an external drive now, you could reinstall the System folder, replacing bad Extensions.

Bookmark this thread all the same, if you would like to continue

Best regards,
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that's a lot for me to do, I will have to wait until someone can help me.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
I understand, it's a bit of an undertaking especially as you have a new disc drive.