David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

how do I clear duplicates

how do I clear duplicates from my MacBooK pro 2009.  I cannot get my ipad2 loaded because the computer startup disc is so full of old emails.  I have tried to remove these emails, but copies get made and come back to mail. 
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi my name is David. First I need a bit of info.

What type of Mac are you using, and what version of OS X is on it?

What application do you have duplicates in, and is it on more than one computer or device?

Please reply and I can help.

Best regards,
David.

PS Please bookmark this page if you want to get back to this answer again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
MacBook Pro Mac os X10.6.8.
Duplicates are everywhere. When I delete email, it returns. I have an iphone and a new ipad2 which is replacing my ipad which died. I cannot get podcasts downloaded to the ipad2. I was a previous pc user and I love the Mac, but have many questions. Duplicates are on my apple devices
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

Are you seeing duplicates of emails across all devices? Or is it music? Still not sure what is being duplicated and in what application. Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have some duplications in music. Emails are my main issue and also duplicate downloads. I went to a Mac store and the old not erased emails which are duplicated are eating up my space
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
This is mainly a manual process. In iTunes you can view duplicates by clicking File -> Display Duplicates. That makes it easier in iTunes.

In email it's mostly manual but there is something you can try. First make a backup of any email you don't want to lose. Create a new mailbox, Mailbox -> New Mailbox, and drag and drop important emails into it.

Then click on the mailboxes with the duplicates and click Mailbox -> Rebuild.

If that doesn't do it you will have to do it manually.

Also check if it is still happening, if it is see if you have the account set up twice, go to Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts. Delete the second account if it is duplicated.

Best regards,
David.
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will try these remedies then will accept. Need a few minutes
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
No problem, just make sure you have bookmarked this page, and reply when ready.