John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I have Mac OS X v10.4.11 on my computer and I need to update

I have Mac OS X v10.4.11 on my computer and I need to update to Mac OS X v10.5.7 as soon as possible. How can I do this? Can it be done online? Do I need to backup everything onto a hard-drive before I update?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 5 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to assist you on this question.

OS X 10.5 was released on CD/DVD only and is not available as an online purchase. This release is no longer offered at retail, however, but can be regularly found on eBay and Craigslist as people/merchants get rid of old stock. Buy-It-Now pricing on ebay seems to hover just over $100.00 for a full version.

Once you have obtained a physical copy, it can be installed as an upgrade over your existing 10.4 installation. However, I would personally recommend doing a clean install (erasing the hard drive before installing 10.5). Whichever way you choose to go, I would recommend backing up all important info before proceeding.

If your system supports it, I highly recommend upgrading to 10.6 instead. It is more widely supported now and can be purchased for only $29 directly from the Apple Store.

If you need more information concerning the above (or have additional questions) just replay straight back to this thread and let me know:
http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/5ro7r-mac-os-v10-4-11-computer-need-update.html

Hopefully, this info will answer your question. If it does, please click ACCEPT so I can be credited for assisting you today. If you continue to have questions on this topic, DO NOT leave negative feedback, just reply back to this thread. I will be more than happy to work with you further.

Thanks,

Note: When leaving feedback, please judge only my personal efforts. Do not leave negative feedback for factors outside my control; such as hardware defects that must be physically repaired (obviously, not my fault), loss/lack of software or backups, or the JustAnswer website. It would be unprofessional to sugar-coat a solution and I show my respect by being upfront with you. Thanks again!