Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Hard drive on my iMac failed and was replaced. I restored

Customer Question

Hard drive on my iMac failed and was replaced. I restored my Mac with Carbonite. I can't reinstall Adobe CS5 because I have no Uninstall file in Utilities. Ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

This is what you need, direct from Adobe.

Give that a try.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Already tried that program
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Daniel-

I tried that program. Nothing comes up when I run it.

The big problem is I have no Uninstaller, but files in other areas related to CS5
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok, try this. Press and hold the Option key and insert the installer disk, some Adobe products for Mac will open an uninstaller.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Didn't work.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
According to Adobe that is all that is necessary.
Typical Adobe, I suggest using Spotlight and search for all Adobe related software, plists, folders etc and trash all of them excluding data folders (if any).

I don't use Adobe and this is one reason why.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Daniel, but I don't think I'm qualified, skilled or patient enough to hunt down and remove every single piece of adobe. I may have to back up and start from scratch all over again
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
How did you restore your data to the new hard drive?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Through Carbonite. I literally took a full week at 1800kbps. I unfortunately did not back up my applications folders or utilities folders. Mostly just pictures, documents, music and projects.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Then Adobe should not have an issue installing.
I assume that you tried installing Adobe?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
One thing you can do that has a 95% chance of success is to start over.
Install OS X as new, do the setup as yourself with existing user names and passwords.
Then install Adobe and after that restore from Carbonite.
Or even better is to use CarbonCopyCloner to make a copy of what you have now, reinstall OS X as new like above, install Adobe and then restore from the copy you made. Much faster than Carbonite.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I start over? Reinstall the OSX disc?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Yes, a complete wipe and install. Not something I want to do but I find it the least time consuming of choices sometimes.
Assuming that CS5 will not install because of some Adobe component that is causing it to balk (they put stuff where it does not belong and name it something unrecognizable) and you do not have an uninstaller that is my suggestion.