Mac Tech
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience:  7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
30013869

Hi! I have a Macbook and use Thunderbird/Firefox. Since the

Hi! I have a Macbook and use Thunderbird/Firefox. Since the 27th I have not been able to get any e-mail messages, though I can send without difficulty and view older inbox messages, sent messages and trash. When I first click on Thunderbird, I get a screen I'd never seen before. It stays on for several minutes before allowing me to see the inbox screen. Nothing happens when I click on the get new messages icon. When I click on file and go to get new messages, I get a message box with a yellow triangle and exclamation point that says, essentially, that the box is full and cant' take any new messages and suggests compacting.

I called Thunderbird and they had me go to Safari, then Webmail and all my messages since the 27th were there, even one they had just had me send to myself. They said the problem was, therefore, not in the server, but in the Thunderbird program, which, they said, was likely corrupted. They then sent me to the Mac support line, but the guy on the phone there said they couldn't help cause they don't know about Thunderbird -- only Safari -- but he also thought it was a corrupted Thunderbird file. Then I was sent to Mozilla and I say you.

What to do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Add this page to your Favorites/Bookmarks first, so as to get back to me anytime later on, if needed.

Follow these steps:

-Shut down your MacBook

-Hold down the LEFT "shift" key and power on your MacBook

-You are booting into Safe Mode. This will take awhile as it clears caches, ect. There will be a progress bar at the bottom of the screen to indicate. Please be patient as the clean-up process is in process...

-Once into the Desktop, restart your MacBook

-Next, run Software Updates (download and install all updates)

-Lastly, go to Finder: Applications>Utitlites>Disk Utility

-Click on the Macintosh HD on the left, then make sure you're in First Aid.

-Run "Repair Disk Permissions"

Reply back if you're still having difficulty with this issue.
Mac Tech, Apple Specialist
Experience: 7 + Years Supporting Apple Products
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Rick!

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. What I'm wondering is, is there any chance I stand to lose files, emails or other material from the computer if I follow the method you propose?

Dave
Expert:  Mac Tech replied 3 years ago.
You should not.

I would strongly suggest that you back up your Mac if you have not done so already.