David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

I am having the issue with SychServicesAgent I went to the

Customer Question

I am having the issue with SychServicesAgent
I went to the terminal and typed it oil all SychServicesAgent, and it keeps coming up with saying mo processes belonging to you were found
Thoughts?

Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi my name is David.

Are you having problems with syncing calendars or contacts?

What was the Terminal command you tried?

Best regards,
David.

PS Please bookmark this page if you want to get back to this answer again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was attempting to install Outlook when is cropped up
I had this issue a while ago, and was able to resolve it
I typed into Terminal:
Killall SynchServicesAgent
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
If you make a mistake with SyncServices you can lose data. You should make a backup of your data first.

Then there are specific steps to reset the SyncServices folder, which are given step by step here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1627

Please follow those steps carefully for the version of OS X you are using.

This should fix your Outlook issue.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This did not help
Still saying SychServicesAgent needs to close to install
Terminal did accept the command
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

It sounds like it needs to be deleted, but what error did Terminal give?

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The terminal did not give an error

It accepted the input, and went back to its normal command prompt
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Can you try disabling SyncServices.

In OS X Lion:
Open Terminal and execute this command:
defaults -currentHost write com.apple.syncservices SyncingDisabled YES

Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Leopard:
Open the iSync application and navigate to iSync Preferences.
Disable the option to "Enable syncing on this computer."

Then try the Outlook installation.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No dice
Sorry
The terminal took the command, but it still comes up saying I must quit that application (SynchServicesAgent )
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

Can you open Activity Monitor, from Applications - Utilities.

In the list box in the top right, select All Processes

Sort by name, and find any syncservices processes and click the Quit Process button in the top left.

Next try to install Office.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thant's what I tried a couple of times before I contacted you - from reading other posts on the subject,

But, i tried ain, hoping some of the terminal commands would now allow it, but, no dice

It appears when I click on to quit process to briefly effect it, as the virtual memory drops down from 24 MB to 16.0 "EB" - I am not familiar with EB, then it bounces back, sometimes as high as 107 MB, but averages around 24 MB

Any chance you do Log Me In sessions?

Sorry about all the frustration
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately not. I think the issue could be fixed by migrating to a new account.

Can you create a new account in System Preferences, make it administrator, and turn off automatic login.

Restart and log into that account.

Can you try installing Office there.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I turn off automatic login?

Also - any tips to restart the computer - it would not let me shut down and restart - not sure if changing automatic login will make the difference or not

Thanks

Jack
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
You can turn off automatic login in System Preferences - Accounts (Users & Groups in Lion)
Unlock the padlock and click Login Options. You can turn it off there.

Shut down instead of restart, and if it doesn't shut down press and hold the power button.

Start up and login to the new test account. Install Outlook.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rebooting now
Auto login was turned off

I will let you know shortly
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rebooting now
Auto login was turned off

I will let you know shortly

Do I try to disable synch services again before installing?

Also, if I install Outlook under the new admin login, can I merge the two logins? It would be really difficult to keep switching back and forth with the two logins ?

So, should I log in now as the new, or original ?
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.

If it installs in the new login it should be possible to use it normally in the original user.

Login to the new account and try to install Outlook without trying anything else.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
,y guess is it will, as MS Office is not installed under the new user, and it appears that it is the issue

This will take a while, can I suspend this session until tomorrow? I am on east coast time and have an early morning
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
No problem, just bookmark this page.

I'm on GMT so it's late here anyway.

Regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I explained the issue to a friend of mine, who had the same issue. He said to reboot into safe mode, install Outlook, then reboot as normal. This was incredibly easy and worked
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
Hi.

Sorry we couldn't solve it faster. Thanks for getting back to me.

Best regards,
David.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The steps you gave me did not work

The only way I got my problem fixed was talking to another IT professional
Expert:  David replied 3 years ago.
That's how I understand it, but you did ask me to help you troubleshoot the issue, and it was only a matter of time we would have certainly tried Safe Boot. That doesn't negate the help I gave you in trying to isolate the issue.
I will consider the question closed as you have resolved it.
Sincerely,
David.