Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

follow-up to I received a message that I do not have enough space on my

Hi, I am requesting a follow up to my 10/25/2011 question: I received a message that I do not have enough space on m

Original Question URL:
http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/5qkpf-received-message-not-enough-space.html
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

I have reviewed the earlier question. Have you an external drive that you wish to use or was there another part that you want help with?
I need more info please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Daniel, I seem to have gotten rid of enough stuff on my desktop so it downloaded iCloud and osx5 but it is still saying not enough space when I am on my husbands desktop. I plugged in my external drive and guess everything is backed up but don't know how to view it. Thanks, Ellen
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ellen,
How did you back it up? With Time Machine or some other way?
If you used TM then click on the Clock with the circle to enter TM.
graphic
That will usually be in the dock and the menubar.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pushed time machine and plugged in the external drive
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Has the icon stopped spinning? I mean has it finished? Trying to access it before that is iffy at best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think it is spinning. My husband is using the computer now
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
The one that indicates when it is backing up is in the menu bar. That is where to click to enter TM. Like this image shows.
graphic
Click on that and watch what it does. If you leave the TM connected and on it will backup often so that at any given time restoring something becomes very easy.
Browse it and see what I mean, then click Cancel to return to the desktop.

It is neat.
Bear in mind that if you delete something from your Mac TM will also delete it from that point forward, the item will remain in TM until it gets pushed off to make room for new backups.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the time machine on my computer? If so why isn't it taking up space?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Time Machine is an application that is for backing up the contents to an external hard drive. Using the main drive makes no sense because that is what you want to save, if it dies (it will) then all is lost.
This will explain more about TM.

Read those, it is very informative.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am trying but they don't make much sense but I will keep trying. I have time machine on my husbands desk top now It shows 3 highlighted desktop folders and many dark behind . There is a bar at the bottom that says cancel at the far left and restore at the far right and today(now) in the middle. Starry things are moving over the screen. On the far lower right in pink it says February 2009 and under that latest back up. Then in white Today. And under that. Now. There are two arrows one pointing forward and one backward. I am afraid I am just wasting you time. I will read all the time machine stuff and see if I can figure it out. Thanks. Ellen
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Reading the stuff I sent will help a lot. You are doing fine and what you describe is what you should see.
It will make sense once you have read some of the articles.
You are not wasting my time, I am here to serve you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. XXXXX wait to see if this indicates it is finished?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
It shouldn't take long unless it is the first backup then it can take almost all day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says that feb 2009 is the latest back up so that is probably going to take a while.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Let it run, when it finishes let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Please wait to reply when there are new developments, otherwise it hangs in the queue and I cannot reply to others that are waiting.
I do look forward to progress reports.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It, the time machine, would appear to have finished and I have unplugged it. The message seems to have dissapeared and we appear aato be working all right. Many thanks for your help
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Were you able to enter TM? I do recommend plugging it at least once a day or it cannot do its job.
If possible leaving it plugged in and turned on is best, XXXXX XXXXX to backup hourly.
I have mine (with a third party app) set to only back up at 12:01 AM daily. Takes 30 seconds to do after the first whole system backup.
A word of warning about full hard drives. Externals just get full and auxiliary drives also just get full with no harm. But the main drive that has the system on it that runs your Mac can get full to the point that it locks up and all data lost. OS X needs about 20GB free space to work so keep that in mind.
Upgrading to a bigger internal hard drive is inexpensive and gives a good return.
I have a 1TB in my iMac of which I have used about half.
Just something to think about.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.