robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.

My mailbox will not open. when i pull up the icon box it

My mailbox will not open. when i pull up the icon box it has a red light. What should i do to get my mail box working again?
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 4 years ago.
Hi, can you explain your situation just a little more, I don't want to jump to any conclusions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This morning, I went to open my mail, I clicked on the icon and nothing happened. When I hit (mail) file every item was thing was gray. For edit most of the items are gray. Messages Re mostly gray too. I went to system preferences and mailbox box was shown, but the red/yellow/green light at the top of the box was red. I tried to shut down last night and thought i had, but this morning it was still on, saying something would go to trash. it asked whether to cancel or was it ok ( i think) which i did and then i tried to pull up my mail and nothing happened.
Well first, restart your computer, see if that resolves the issue, which sounds like a connectivity problem where Mail is stuck thinking you are offline.

Second, you may have in-advertantly trashed some critical files for Mail, but it's hard to diagnose from an explanation alone, try the restart first, and describe if your folders are still greyed out, and comment a littlemore on this, does anything have exclamation points next to it, or is it just greyed out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi I'm not sure you got my note. I tried shut down and it wouldn't. do I try again. And how to I get back to you if i do?
Yes, try again, force quit it if possible. I got your note, but need you try restarting again.

If it gives you an error, please copy down the exact error.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was asked to force quit mail. which i have done. i will now try to shut down and see what happens.
Great, that should do it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
done. up and running
Great, glad that nailed it!