robgranholm
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.
35592706

how do I repair damaged database when data utility fails

Customer Question

how do I repair damaged database when data utility fails?
Category: Mac
Expert:  robgranholm replied 3 years ago.
Hi, are you referring to a Outlook or Entourage database? Can you explain a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
entourage

also Excel, Word & powerpoint work well
Hmm well technically speaking there isn't another way to repair the database, are you sure it's being restored completely, what is the size of the database? can you see if it's really tiny, like only a few MB ... or if it's large.

The database is one large file, so if for some reason ALL of it wasn't backed up, or you only have a partial piece of it, it won't function.

I'll hunt around and see if there are any other methods of recovery. I know different versions of entourage have different limits, are you using Entourage X, 2004, or 2008?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is over 15 GB. the back-up goes back to mid september. the hard drive failed a couple days ago and that back up was only a partial. everything seems to be dated september.
hmm, can you try to recover a slightly older backup and try the repair on that backup as well while i'm searching/talking in the microsoft forums for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have tried that as well and the verify/rebuild failed. entourage will not open but i do get the calendar alert. i did not uninstall/reinstall, i just reloaded the software. should i uninstall and try again?
ahh i see, well it's possibly worth continually trying older revisions of the backup through time machine until you find one that works.

also, you may already be doing this, but compact the database first, it won't damage anything.

no need to re-install, the uninstall, re-install won't do much. here's some resources for you and some software i'm reading reviews on now that does it's best to re-create the database user from a corrupted database. the thing is, with corrupt databases there's no guarantee they can be fixed. it's such a shame considering you were smart and had a backup.

info: http://www.office.mvps.org/database/corrupt.html

software called, Entourage Recovery. free trial: http://www.entouragerecovery.org/

short of hiring a programmer to take apart the database line by line, which i shouldn't have said as it's not really an option, recovering this information might not be possible.

let me know if any of those options work and i'll be glad to follow up.
robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience: 2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will do. how do i get back to you after i try these things?

also, what is the possibility of working if i buy the latest version of office that it would pull my data in and work?
you can just come back here and post, i'll get it. i'm glad to continue.

the latest version will try to upgrade your users, i remember doing it a few months ago, but it's possible, in my experience i would say likely it will fail because of the corruption, you never know though, if the error is small enough, there's always a possibility.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I finally got it to work on my own, but thanks for the help
Awesome, good work, and thanks.

What was it that got it to work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I set up a second identity to see if Entouirage would work with it and it did. I assumed the problem was with the data in my backup, I made several coppies of the data, compressed them and scanned them for viruses. I finally got 1 version to rebuild and it has worked ever since.
Ah very creative, long shot and it worked, I'll keep that one in my pocket for the future.