David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified

How do I enable my iPad when it is locked and cant connect

Customer Question

How do I enable my iPad when it is locked and can't connect to itunes without a passcode which I never had?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ed replied 2 years ago.

ed08724 :

Hi my name is XX XXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please reply back if a solution doesn't help immediately.

ed08724 :

You have to connect it to the original computer you set it up with then you can restore it

Customer :

I am on the original computer.

ed08724 :

in itunes click on the ipad in the left column and then click restore. It will restore it to factory and you will have to reinstall apps, music, photos, ebooks, etc

Customer :

Not possible..............Screen says iPad is disabled - connect to iTunes, but when I do that I get no further because itunes tells me that there is a passcode (which i DID NOT set up) is needed.

ed08724 :

while connected to itunes press home and off button on ipad and hold until screen blanks. Then let go of power button but continue to hold until itunes gives a message

Customer :

I go error OxE8000065 on itunes

ed08724 :

are you running the latest version of itunes

Customer :

I believe so. How can I check to see?

ed08724 :

in the last post I missed saying continue to hold down the home button until itunes gives a message. did you do that

ed08724 :

to check for the latest version of itunes click help menu then check for updates

Customer :

Itunes just says my iPhone could not be updated?!

ed08724 :

what iphone?

Customer :

EXACTLY! lol

ed08724 :

when do you get that message

Customer :

When checking for updates

ed08724 :

try unplugging ipad

Customer :

ok

Customer :

now what?

ed08724 :

try the update

Customer :

says I have no internet connection but I'm talking to you.

Customer :

so hmmm

ed08724 :

click help, about itunes and read scrolling version

Customer :

done

ed08724 :

are you still there

ed08724 :

what version

Customer :

iTunes 10

ed08724 :

scrolling part

ed08724 :

first line

Customer :

yess

Customer :

10.5.0.142

ed08724 :

that is the latest version. Try exiting itunes, shut down computer, restart, restart itunes, plug in ipad and press home and off button on ipad and hold until screen blanks. Then let go of power button but continue to hold home button until itunes gives a message

ed08724 :

to get back here just come back to justanswer.com and click the My Questions link in the right of the orange bar and then click this question. Do not start a new question.

Customer :

will do!

ed08724 :

then reply back

Customer :

itunes can not connect because the ipad is locked witha passcode. Must enter passcode, but I have no passcode and it doesn't even give me tthat option.

ed08724 :

did you do the procedure I gave on the ipad. That bypasses the passcode. If it isn't you aren't getting the timing right

Customer :

let me try it again

Customer :

ipad is in recover mode. must restore ipad before it can be used with itunes. Are we getting there?

ed08724 :

yes, now click the ipad on the left column and click restore

Customer :

we may be rolling now!

ed08724 :

did it download new firmware

ed08724 :

should be the new IOS5

ed08724 :

it should take a while to download

Customer :

downloading ipad software updates now

ed08724 :

ok

Customer :

Over an hour to go so I'll check back after it is done. Ok?

ed08724 :

sure

Customer :

NOW itunes is saying it can not connect because of the passcode again!

Customer :

but it still appears to be downloading something by looking at the icon to the right of my ipad icon on the left.

Customer :

Is it still restoring?

ed08724 :

in the middle of restoring

ed08724 :

never heard of that. let it run and see what hapens

Customer :

yes

Customer :

ok

Customer :

will check back in tomorrow.............bedtime here.

ed08724 :

ok

Customer :

thank you

ed08724 :

you are welcome

Customer :

wheel is turning but the time remaining is not changing

ed08724 :

just let it run overnight

Customer :

should I choose try again or cancel?

Customer :

ok

Customer :

nope, nothing

ed08724 :

I have no other ideas so I will opt out. If another expert has an idea they will reply. Sorry I couldn't solve the problem. Don't reply back until another expert responds or it will lock them out.

Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXX I'll do my best to answer your question.

Can you disconnect your iPad, and press the power button until the iPad powers off first.

Then press and hold the Home button on the face of the iPad.

While keeping that button held, connect the iPad to your computer, and do not let go of the Home button.

Keep the Home button held down, until iTunes detects the iPad and says Recovery Mode.

You can release the Home button, and then try to restore the iPad.

I hope this fixes it, but please reply if it does not.

Sincerely,
David.