robgranholm, Mac Genius
Experience:  2 Years at Apple, Current IT Administrator and Small Business Owner. Loves to help.

My i-phone was infected with a virus last night. The phone

My i-phone was infected with a virus last night. The phone still works, but web access is frozen. What should I do?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Someone hacked into my home (aol) e-mail account and sent e-mails with virus-infected links to everyone I had ever sent an e-mail to. One of my friends forwarded the e-mail he had received to my work e-mail with a message (my first knowledge of the attack). My i-phone gets my work e-mail quite readily, and I was curious what I had supposedly sent him and opened the link. Now the "Safari" button brings up a largely dark screen that I cannot change or close, except to close Safari entirely..
Okay, you need to quit Safari (completely, double press the home button to get your active applications, then press one and hold it down to make them jiggle and close all your applications.

Then reboot the phone by holding the home button and the sleep button (top thin button) ... for about 10 seconds, this will force the iPhone to reboot.

It's not likely your phone has a "virus" ... it's just stuck trying to load a page that has tons of pop ups, ads, and junkware, so it stalls the phone.

If you're phone had a virus, it's likely a lot of other functions would be impacted.

Let me know how that goes and I'll follow up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You're dealing with a dunce here, and I'm away from home and don't have the instruction manual. Which is the "home" button?
The only physical button on the face of the iPhone, the one you press to get to the "home" screen with all the icons.

No worries, I'm glad to help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That did it! Many thanks! My only complaint is that the screen where we were first communicating did not show your last response. I was sitting there waiting for a long time when it occurred to me to check my e-mail -- which is where we are now. I'll go back to that screen to see if I can find the "accept" button you speak of.
Yes, I'll make this response as an answer, and then you'll see the Accept. Glad to help!