Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My Apple Mac computer is running very slow. Can I clean up

My Apple Mac computer is running very slow. Can I clean up cookies and anything that might be slowing it up.
Barry
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Hello Barry, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Which version of OS x are you running?
Do you mean the whole computer or just Safari? I ask that because you said something about cookies.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have downloaded Firefox which has tried in the past to do an upgrade but is never possible.
I usually run Safari which was on the Mac when I got it.
i have played at some of teh poker sites and my kids also use this Mac. Can they have something running that I don't see.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
More than likely it just needs some maintenance is.
Start off with bookmarking the site so that you could get back to me easily, restart will be necessary.

In the Apple menu select ‘About This Mac’, and tell me what the arrows point that on your machine.
graphic

If you have more than one account and more than one person is logged to there could be applications that are causing some slowdowns, usually that is not the case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Version 10.5.8
2GHz Intel Core Duo
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

You will probably see a popup that looks like this.

popup accept.jpg

Click the red X in the corner to dismiss. This is a temporary bug in the system.

My answer follows this info request.

Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Okay, we will start with repairing the permissions, this PDF explains why and how.

Repairing Permissions

After that finishes do a pram reset, this works best if using a USB connected keyboard.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes.

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.

Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Do that, I think you will see a marked improvement in the system performance. If not then please get back to me and tell me so.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will gladly pay for the service but I would like to go through the process and see if it works.
is that possible.
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that is why I warned you about the popup. Do so before clicking accept, like I said if that does not improve performance you may need a new hard drive, it could be failing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a password that I have to put in when my computer restarts. do I hold down the 4 keys after putting in the password.
Also my I have lost the use of the letter between H and K on my keyboard.
Barry
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.
It should not get to that point. As soon as the screen turns black when restarting press and hold the keys.
If from a cold start press and hold the keys as soon as the power is pressed.