David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
39216975

My cursor keeps jumping around, opening and closing sites and

Customer Question

My cursor keeps jumping around, opening and closing sites and windows. It's often out of control and I have no idea why. Right now it seems all right but 10 minutes from now it could be a different story. It seemed to happen suddenly. Do you think this is a virus or some other kind of computer bug or an electronic problem? something else? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Stella
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll do my best to answer your question.

Hi Stella,

What type of Mac are you using? If it's a Desktop, which type of mouse are you using, and what surface are you using it on?

Do you have a trackpad on a portable, or a Magic Trackpad, that could be getting accidental input?

Are you seeing the windows moving as though to reveal them all, or does it look like it's quickly changing windows or 'desktops'. Then it could be Mission Control and Hot Corners. You can take a look in System Preferences to see what I mean about Mission Control, and there's more about it here:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/mission-control.html

At the moment I'm not sure why it's happening, but if you can get back to me with those answers I think we can try to narrow it down.

Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a Macbook laptop and use a Logitech mouse.

I have trouble writing anything 'cause the cursor keeps erasing everything.

Don't know what a Magic Trackpad is so I doubt I have one.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
When does the mouse cursor jump around, is it when you use the mouse, or does it happen while typing?

Do type with your palms on the trackpad, or do you have any jewelry or bracelet that could be setting off the trackpad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The cursor mostly jumps around while I'm trying to use it, including while I'm trying to type. It sometimes dances around by itself, too. Very aggravating.

No, my palms don't touch the pad while typing. I'm a touch typist and the only jewelry I wear is my wedding ring.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
It's a strange issue, what kind of surface is the mouse on?
What happens if you try moving the mouse pointer into each corner of the screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can use this kind of mouse anywhere, except on a glass surface. It's a Logitech. No matter where I use it, though, it's now acting up. I've tried changing the mouse, but to no avail I'm afraid.

When I point to each corner, nothing in particular happens - especially if a window isn't open. If a window is open, it might bump something an inadvertently open another window. the cursor won't stay where I put it.

What should I do?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will I be getting more help or is this it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please answer.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, it's a unusual issue, and there's so many things it could be.

The fact you've tried all different surfaces, and it's the same with another mouse, makes a big difference.

Can you disconnect anything else that's connected, and Shut down.

1. Press the power button.

2. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.

3. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

Wait until the machine starts up and then test the issue. Is it happening then?

That's called Safe Boot, and will help by showing if there are any software problems.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455

I'm sorry, it's frustrating, these issues are difficult to get to the bottom of.

Best,
David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: BSc, H.Dip, Apple Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks! I tried that and the cursor is no longer doing the bunny hop all over the screen.
Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it stays fixed.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome!

Now there is another thing here, your Mac is still booted in Safe Boot.

In Safe Boot some things will not work. Here's what it says on the Apple website about it:
"Safe Mode can be useful for troubleshooting. However, certain Mac OS X features do not work in Safe Mode. For example, you can't use DVD Player, capture video in iMovie, use audio input or output devices, or use an internal or external USB modem. The behavior of some devices such as wireless networking may vary depending on computer and Mac OS X version."

For this reason, Safe Boot is only used to find out. Because we know if it works in Safe Boot, it isn't a hardware issue, and we have a better idea of how to fix it.

To get out of Safe Boot you only just restart the computer again, but if the bunny hopping cursor issues comes back again, then we carry out specific steps to resolve it.

Can you restart and test if it is still OK?

If not then delete any login items from the list. The login item list is in 'System Preferences -> Users & Groups (called Accounts in older versions of OS X)' then click the Login Items tab.

Delete anything in that list and restart.

Is the issue gone or still there?

Best regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did restart the computer. Actually, the cursor was still hopping around during Safe Boot mode, so I shut my computer down and restarted as I normally would. Ta da! No more bunny hop - at least not right now. We'll see. I'm hoping it's not a temporary fix.

Anyhow, thanks for your help.
Expert:  David replied 2 years ago.
No problem, thank you :)