OSXpert
OSXpert, Mac Software Engineer
Experience:  2 years as a geek squad computer technician, 5 years as a software engineer and unix systems admin
50723742

I accidentally washed my touch iPod. Luckily everything works

I accidentally washed my touch iPod. Luckily everything works except the battery won't charge. What do I do to get a new battery?

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  OSXpert replied 5 years ago.

OSXpert :

Hi, my name is Britton. Are you available?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

I was wondering if I need if and where I need to send my iPod to get a new battery installed

OSXpert :

hi

OSXpert :

It's good to hear your ipod is still working at all, usually they don't survive liquids

OSXpert :

Are you still there Laurie?

Customer:

Kind of new at this chat format. As it turns out all is not ok. When I plug it into the charger the battery icon comes up but it doesn't charge the battery. What to do?

Customer:

All is not OK. The battery icon comes up when plugged in but it doesn't charge.

Customer:

hello

OSXpert :

Hi Laurie, we seem to be out of sync at this chat session.

I recommend taking your iPod to the Apple store, tell them what happened (they will be able to tell it was liquid damage when they look inside of it, there are liquid exposure indicators on the electronics), it's best to be up front with them. They may be able to install a new battery. However, the circuitry that actually charges the battery may have been damaged.

Unfortunately, there isn't any way for me to tell, so you're going to have to have Apple take a look at it. All that said, if it's just the battery, it may be $50 or less to repair it. If the damage is more extensive, the cost of repairs may exceed the cost of purchasing a new iPod.