John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Why does my window keep jumping around and changing sizes and

Why does my window keep jumping around and changing sizes and how can you Keep it still? I expect the answer is in my Mac OS10 book, but right now it's packed away.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

Did you mean't your Mac is zoomed in ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't exactly zoom in...It jumps from the left side of the screen to the middle and when it does it gets smaller.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I'm confused...When this exactly happens ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh, god, I was hoping you'd know. I don't know what I've done when this happens. I do know that if Iclick somewhere on the vacant part of the desktop it changes again. Sometimes it doesn't happen for days. This morning when I'm trying to get my taxes done, it's doing it a lot.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I didn't see this problem before...Does it looks like this when it jumps ?
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it's just one window. Sometimes when it gets smaller and moves to the middle of the screen, it'll go in the right (direction) and get bigger. It seems like it happens I'm ready to put a checkmark, and the thing I'm trying to check, of course, moves with the window. The more I try to check it the more it moves, like it's playing a game of hide-n-seek
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
This is very strange...I haven't seen this before. I will opt out and send this question to other experts in here. May be they will be able to help you out...
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX self-employed tech, and I'm offering my time in good faith today to assist you on this question.

What model of Mac do you have and what version of OS X are you using?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a MacBook, with system 10.6.8, but it's been doing it since OSX I believe.
Is it possible another part of your hand is touching the trackpad when this happens?

Its sounds like per-app expose is being activated somehow. If you click and hold and icon in the dock, do you get the same effect?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Track pad? I use the mouse and the keyboard. When I'm not on the keyboard my left arm holds up my face.
What icon? That's a problem too. So that just might be it. Can you get to my earlier questions? I got an answer but it didn't tell me what I needed to know.
So you use an external mouse rather than the trackpad built into the laptop?

Try the click-and-hold on an icon in your Dock, such as your web browser (Chrome?) does the window get smaller like you were seeing?

In the meantime, I'll peek at the earlier questions....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey, I just thought of something. I have my Macbook almost hidden. I use an old, wonderful keyboard from my old G3, ViewSonic screen, The mouse is new, within the last 6 months, and all you see if you were looking over my shoulder is the screen, keyboard and mouse.

Does that help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does that help? I don't know what to do about my response to your question. I don't know how to edit or continue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried clicking and holding icons, but none of them did anything that would affect the window size or position.
How is your Macbook itself situated while it's "hidden"? Is it open/closed? Is there anything laying directly on the trackpad?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the big blue keyboard on top of it. The macbook is closed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Listen Dru, It's almost 2 and I have to go to lunch so I'll check back at quarter till 3. Don't give me back to the Macpack, OK?
No problem... I'll be heading out for dinner myself in a few minutes.

If you go into System Preferences > Dashboard & Expose

Are there any settings there that may be triggering what you see? Whether it be a screen corner set up for Application Exposes or a keyboard shortcut?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey, we must be getting warm. Holding down the Chrome icon moves the window to the center of the screen. Then if you click on the window it gets a neon blue outline around it. Great. That's where it comes from, now how to get rid of it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Druid (and/or others)
I really can't keep doing this today. so I may or may not be online in 15 minutes. I MUST do my taxes. I'll be around, on and off for the next few days or whenever my taxes ar on their way to IRS and OR and CA, later this week I suppose. I'll stay online as much as I can. Good luck, Barb
That's fine. You can reply back to this thread at any point you are available. I am usually answering questions 3PM to midnight EDT every day.

In the meantime, see if you can find a key stroke or mouse button that triggers the same effect as you found with the Chrome icon. I'm certain its the Expose being triggered in some manner.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, you were right about the keystroke. It's F9. Is Expose part of the Mac? Do I have it?
What's the next step?
If F9 is the trigger, you should be able to go into System Preferences > Dashboard & Expose and change that keystroke to something other than F9. Expose is built into the Mac. There's no real way to disable it but you can assign the offending keys to something different and get it, hopefully, out of your way.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ years in the computer/Mac industry