Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis

When I open Itunes I get the following message- Registry settings

When I open Itunes I get the following message-"Registry settings used by Itunes drivers for importing and burning CD's and DVD's is missing. Please reinstal Itunes" I have done that but it did not fix the problem. What can I do???
Category: Mac
Expert:  Omer Mushahwar replied 2 years ago.

Omer Mushahwar :

Hi I am one of the experts here on just answer.com

This error usually occurs when the gears file is missing or corruptted

http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/drivers.php

Go to this link here

Download the version for 32bit systems

Then make sure Itunes is closed and you dont have any Ipod or Iphone device plugged in

Then run the install it should correct this error for you

Let me know if you have any issues

Customer:

I have downloaded this before and it did not resolve the issue. However I did redownload .

Omer Mushahwar :

And did you install it with itunes closed?

Customer:

yes

Omer Mushahwar :

Still no difference?

Customer:

no sir.

Omer Mushahwar :

OK there are a few other things to try give me a minute to write in the steps

Customer:

ok

Omer Mushahwar :

Ok so there are a couple things you can try

The First
1. Do a search for a file -GEARAspiWDM.inf in C drive
2. Right click and install
3. Reboot the computer
4. itunes should be working without the error

Omer Mushahwar :

The second

• If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue.

• Click the plus sign (XP) or arrow (Vista and Windows 7) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to expand its contents.

• Expand the contents of SYSTEM.

• Expand the contents of CurrentControlSet.

• Expand the contents of Control.

• Expand the contents of Class.

• Click to select the heading that begins with "{4D36E965-" (you just need to highlight this folder). It should look like this:
  • Omer Mushahwar :

sorry left a step to open the registry click start in run type regedit to open the registry to do the steps above

Omer Mushahwar :
  • From the File menu, click Export.

• In the dialog box that appears, make sure the "Selected branch" radio button is enabled, then save the file somewhere that you can find it later. This is a backup of this registry key. You should hang on to this in case you need to reimport your original settings later.

• On the right side of the Registry Editor window, right-click the UpperFilters entry and choose Modify from the shortcut menu.
  • Customer:

can i print these instructions?

Omer Mushahwar :

Right-click the empty white space within the right-hand portion of the Registry Editor window. From the shortcut menu, choose New > Multi-String Value.

Name this new value "UpperFilters" (without the quotes). Then, right-click the newly created UpperFilters entry and choose Modify from the shortcut menu.

• In the window that appears, use the appropriate steps below to add iTunes device filter to the "Value data" box.

The text contained in the "Value data" box represents third-party device filters. If you remove these device filters, the third-party software that installs them may stop functioning properly. In the example below "NTIDrvr" and "SiRemFil" represent these third-party device filters.

Click in the box below this text. This accomplishes two things. First, it removes the highlighting from the text. This way when you start typing it won't overwrite these device filters. Second, it places the cursor below this text.

Now, type "GEARAspiWDM" (without quotes) to add the iTunes device filter.

Type GEARAspiWDM to add in the iTunes device filter.

• Omer Mushahwar :

Yeah

Omer Mushahwar :

The other place apple has the same instructions with illustrations here http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3299

You can save that link to your favorite and then go back to it if you have to reboot

Customer:

I cannot get your aswer to preint.

Omer Mushahwar :

If you like I can switch the chat to a Q&A format so its not in the Chat window which maybe causing an issue for printing?

Customer:

can I save and exit ? I will go ahead and accept the charges for your time.

Customer:

ok thanks for your assistance.

Omer Mushahwar :

or simply make this webpage one of your favorites and come back

Omer Mushahwar :

you are welcome

Omer Mushahwar :

thanks for using just answer.com

Experience: I work with Mac Computers and Servers on a daily basis