Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products

my iPhone battery went dead and is not charging, what can I

Customer Question

my iPhone battery went dead and is not charging, what can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 2 years ago.

I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue.

may be the iphone is frozen. Let's try a reset first.

Connect it to the computer. Then, Press and hold the power button and the home button together for 10-15 sec. You may get an apple logo.

let me now whether this resolves your issue.

Thank YOu
Vinod
Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This didn't work
When you tried holding down both the buttons, did it give you anything on the screen, such as a battery icon, red color or something like that?

Try holding down both the buttons for around 30 seconds.

also, when did you buy the iphone and how long have you been facing this issue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried more than 30 seconds...nothing. It did this 2 weeks ago, I brought it where I bought it 3 years ago. They plugged it in and after awhile it started charging. I noticed that when it charges, which it's not doing now, it gets really hot.

I'm anxious for the 4-S!...but I need this one to work!!!
If it is not taking up the charge, then it needs a repair/replacement unfortunately...:(

you can also try using different usb cables.

if that does not work either, then you need to either take it to an apple store nearby or call apple care to set up the replacement.

But since your phone is more than a year old, it won't be under warranty. So the better option is to call apple care 1-800-2752273. I think if you tell them that the phone gets hot while charging, they will consider it as a safety issue give you an exception to replace it for free. But I am not sure, you have to consult with the apple care
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dude, I'm not happy!
I can understand that...:(

But, unfortunately, there is nothing more I could do here at this point, as it is a hardware issue and needs to be replaced.

If you can call apple care, ask them to transfer you to a senior advisor, tell him that it gets hot while charging, you may get an exception to exchange it for free.