John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.

I am having severe trouble with MS Excel.

Customer Question

I am having severe trouble with MS Excel. I use Mac OS X 10.5.8 and my Excel is version 11.6.5 (110725). My name isXXXXX  (Marimba). The product ID is 75XXX-XXX-XXXX646-12408. For a long time the I have struggled with cell entry when I coud not shift to a new cell except by switching to another program for a brief time & then going back to Excel. Now the thing is worse. I have been tryng to build a new spread sheet. The old problem persists but the program now crashes and I have had to reboot five times for six lines of entry, which is ridiculous! What to do? I tried to reach someone by phone, but the line has rung for some 15 minutes without any sort of reply! You can call me on XXX-XXX-XXXXor tell me what to do, but please do so quickly
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

I know the following suggestion may be trivial but it is the first thing you should check in such a case

On the menu bar click Windows > Freeze Pane > Unfreeze Pane. Also make sure that the sheet is not protected

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THe freeze pane option is greyed out.
As for protection, I have no idea. I started this sheet an hour ago and the problek is merely an exaggeration of previous ones, as I indicated.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.
Ok, please send me that file and I will try to fix it for you. To send the file go to http://www.wikisend.com/ and upload the file (no need to signup) then copy the "File ID" number (or the download link) that you will be given and paste it here in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is not a file issue. It is bigger than that and is merely an extension of a long-term problem. Crashes have occurred occasionally before, but this is merely a worse case. I have always updated the software when prompted to do so.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

You said the Freeze option is grayed out. Surely this is not the case with other files or New files

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked other older Excel files and all have the freeze panes grayed out.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok will check and get back to you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I may have to miss you today as I have to leave home in about an hour and wil be out until late tonight. If I get you in time I wil deal with it, but let's see what happens & what you find out.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Ok make sure that your spreadsheet is in Normal view (under View > Normal)

Let me know

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was in page layout. Would that explain everything?
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Yes most likely it is. The page layout is the not the standard spreadsheet mode and it has a lot of limitations

Hope that helped. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the assistance as this is the only way I get credit for my time

Thanks

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hoped that the problem had been fixed, but when I started to enter the Excel file this morning the problem has persisted. The propgrma crashed my whle computer once and severla times I coud not enter data ina particular field except by leaving that filed and themn coming back to it. I was in "Normal" view at the time, so it's not that fault. Help please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have also realized that my Mail program seems ot have a glitch this morning, so I may not get any messages until I can contact my service provider (which will take a couple of hours)
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

You said: "..I could not enter data in a particular field ...", so in addition to having problems in your Excel application (crashing) and other problems with your system you also appear to have problems with that particular file. I would like to have a look at the file and inspect that particular field. Please send me that file so I can continue assisting you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://wikisend.com/download/495116/Haigh fire expenses (version 1).xls
I'm not sure if this is what you need.
PLease note, as I said before, this is not a single file problem. It has occurred in other Excel files, it just seems worse this time as the thing crashed the cmputer several times. I suspect it is a generic Excel problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anybody home?
I'm having some email problems so I'll check this site from time to time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My email finally kicked in, so I'm not sure where we are, but you now know the problem. If you did not get my reply of 10.43 here it is again.

I'm not sure if this is what you need.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

I got the file, thanks

Ok which cell is the field that you could not enter data in?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It hardly matters. Sometimes the thing works for a few cells and then balks. Other times it works for only one cell and as soon as I get to a new one it stops. If I go back one cel and then forward again it might work, but not always. Sometimes I swithc to anotjher program (any program that is open) just for one click and then back to the Exel. It might then work (might not). Every now & again the whole thing crashes when I try to enter data, but there is no way of predicting when this will happen. As you may imagine I am not a happy camper.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Try this

Uninstall your Office application (provided you have the CD and product key) then create a new user profile, reboot and login to the new profile, then re-install Excel from that profile. This should start you fresh without having to reinstall the Mac OS

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll have a go in the morning, as we are heading out to town.
I'll let you know if it works then
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

ok

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
John,
I have 2 CDs in front of me. One is called Office:mac v.X and has volume licensing as part of the blurb. The other is Microsft Licensing December 2005 Applications - Microsft Office for Mac Professional Edition - Virtual PC for Mac version 7. I checked the Office get info. It ws last updated through Software updates on July 25th this year.
Not sure how to uninstall. Do I use one of these CDs?
No rush on answer as I have to go into town on business in about 15 minutes and will not have time to do more until much later.
Expert:  John D replied 2 years ago.

Jerry, I am not sure why you have 2 CD's. You should know what and how you purchased. However I would use the most recently acquired CD. If in doubt, place the one that says Office:mac... and wait until the setup utility gets launched then follow the prompts until installation it completes the installation.